Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Touch ID intermittently stops working

When the lid on the MacBook Pro is opened, macOS Catalina presents the login screen with the prompt 'Enter password or use Touch ID', however the Password entry field is missing from the login screen.

On the Touch Bar, the prompt to use Touch ID is not displayed. When I touch the Touch ID button, nothing happens, the MacBook Pro won't unlock. I can enter my password on the keyboard, but the password entry field doesn't display anything. When I hit enter, I'm back into my MacBook Pro.

This is an intermittent issue, which seems to happen daily but at random times when opening the MacBook Pro lid. The power profile has been left as default since setting up the MacBook Pro.

A clean install of macOS Catalina (10.15.4) hasn't resolved the issue, nor a NVRAM / PRAM reset.

Is there a known fix for this issue, or is it just a bug in macOS in its current form? (10.15.4)

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 7:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 10:46 AM

For Touchbar/Touch ID

Try resetting the SMC https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

7 replies

May 8, 2020 4:55 AM in response to leroydouglas

Just to provide an update on this, I contacted Apple Support and this case has been escalated to a Senior Advisor and the Engineering Team. we held a screen share session to demonstrate the problem in action. We removed all registered finger prints from Touch ID, and since then, I have not been able to add a new finger print. The finger print enrolment process instantly fails before even attempting to let you enrol a new fingerprint! The problem was not isolated to an individual user profile either. All of the test user profiles I created demonstrated the same problem.

Diagnostics data had been gathered about my system to support the engineering team's investigation, as an initial clean installation as per the Apple support article (https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlp1599/mac) did not fix this.

I took it a step further when performing a second reinstall of macOS. I deleted all volumes on the SSD, rather than just the 'Macintosh HD - data' volume the support article instructions (above) detailed. After this clean installation of macOS, the issue appears to now be resolved, however it was not all plain sailing... during the macOS setup process, Apple Pay setup would not work, however, after an hour or so, I was able to activate it on the MacBook Pro through system Preferences.

Based on this feedback with the Engineering teams, there may be a need to update the support article when it comes to wiping the internal storage volume for reinstallation of macOS. In doing this, it's given them something else to look into!

Touch ID intermittently stops working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.