Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Display Issues - Blue Horizontal Lines Across Screen

Started seeing these strange gradient lines across the screen in Google Chrome, but they often don't go beyond the fold of a website. The mouse is above the lines and they don't take up the whole screen, making me think it is a software issue. I am using an external display, but the result is the same on my almost 4 month old 16" MacBook. Safari is not showing the lines.... Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 16, 2020 10:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2020 8:47 AM

That looks like some browser rendering issue with the GPU hardware acceleration. Whether it is due to a hardware issue, driver issue, or browser issue is hard to say. Browser GPU acceleration does still has some kinks to work out.

13 replies

Jul 2, 2020 10:30 AM in response to raistlinxw

raistlinxw wrote:

I am also seeing this in Chrome (83) and also in MS Teams.
I turned off Hardware Acceleration in Chrome and that fixed it for Chrome, but still happening for Teams.

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/f2c7dc03-8e5a-4b5a-bfd5-ff47dd2af257

Try turning off GPU Acceleration in the Teams' Settings. Click on your icon badge in the upper right corner of the Teams app and select "Settings". On the "General" tab make sure to check the box for "Disable GPU hardware acceleration (requires restarting Teams". Make sure to quit Teams after making this change. When you relaunch Teams the GPU acceleration should be disabled.

Jul 6, 2020 6:47 AM in response to HWTech

@HWTech I understand disabling hardware acceleration in programs "fixes" the issue. However are we not really masking the issue? If programs from different developers are displaying the same symptoms, does this not very clearly make it an Apple problem? Especially since it's occuring exclusively on the 16" pro models?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251248169?answerId=252926603022#252926603022

May 16, 2020 12:37 AM in response to HWTech

have also seen this same thing on my macbookpro 16" (also using external screens) - seems to mainly affect Chrome (usually the devtools inspect window but also other normal site windows) i have also seen it on the whatsapp desktop app. Does seem that disabling 'Use hardware acceleration when available' in Chrome does make it go away. Any information on if this is hardware or software?

Jun 12, 2020 6:03 PM in response to dseyit

dseyit wrote:

This happens on my matlab windows too. Is it hardware issue ? Should I use my warranty and get swapped my device ? Anyone knows?

If it only occurs on matlab, then they may be using GPU hardware acceleration as well. Check the matlab preferences. If this is the only app which gives you problems, then it is a software issue which will need to be resolved by matlab developers.

Display Issues - Blue Horizontal Lines Across Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.