Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrading I-Mac mid-2010

I own a I-Mac mid-2010 original version 10.6.3 I managed to upgrade it today to MacOS X v10.6.8 Can I go any further up on the scale?

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 5:14 AM

8 replies

Apr 17, 2020 11:22 AM in response to C_B_20

C_B_20 Said:

Thank you. I thought that was way too enthusiastic ...Can I ask another silly question please ? I managed to download two upgrades...InstallOS.dmg and InstallMacOSX.dmg ...which one is El Capitan since nothing really happened...My I-mac still appears to have OS X v10.6.8

———-

Open it (Only if Download from Apple):

I am uncertain as to which macOS version it would pertain. Download these from Apple, and none other. If downloaded from Apple, then double-click it, and see what pops up for the MacOS version this applies to. You’d probably see the logo right atop the window that opens.

Find your Installed macOS Version:

As for which macOS version you have installed, to find out:

1. Go to: the Apple menu
  2. Select: About this Mac...
  3. View: the Third Line-Down.

Apr 17, 2020 11:47 AM in response to Niel

Thanks Neil. Unfortunately, I cannot check for compatibility using Roaring app ( which I have downloaded) as it says that 'you have Mac OS X 10.6.8 the app requires Mac OS X 10.7 or later...annoying! I think that I have El Capitan OS now...or so I think as I got a link from a Apple support agent and have successfully installed it .... I tried to download High Sierra but it wouldn't let me... it says this update requires macOS version 10.8 or later.....I am reaching a dead end I guess ...I will ring Apple Support tomorrow! Many thanks.

Apr 17, 2020 1:08 PM in response to C_B_20

C_B_20 Said:

"I probably have MacOSX.dmg as OS.dmg is not working...both downloaded from Apple...I don't have the View option either...I will ring them again tomorrow as they operate 9 am to 5pm in Ireland. Thanks for your help."

-------

You are welcome.

Late-Night Download:

When it is in the middle of the night, try a new download of this file, as network traffic may not be so high. Thing is, if network traffic is more stable, then a more reliable download is likely to come about.

Upgrading I-Mac mid-2010

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.