Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WiFi-less AirPrint-capable Printer connected to router USB

I have an AirPrint-capable printer connected via USB to the print server port of my router. WiFi is disabled on both the printer and the router as I have given 2.4 GHz the boot.

Unfortunately, in this configuration iOS/iPadOS won’t see the printer. Works fine when 2.4 GHz WiFi is enabled on both printer and router.

Why won’t IPadOS/iOS not recognize it? Why does an AirPrint Printer have to be on WiFi when it is otherwise reachable over the network? Is this an AirPrint bug/feature/limitation?

To me it’s a limitation. MacOS and Windows computers don’t have an issue. C’mon, Apple.

iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 10:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 11:35 AM

Don’t blame Apple... as AirPrint is not designed to work over wired USB connections.

AirPrint is a network protocol (or more accurately, AirPrint uses a number of network protocols); it’s not designed to work with a USB printer - which is exactly what you have as soon as you rely upon the printer’s USB connection.

If you connect your USB printer to a AirPrint server (such as a Lantronix xPrintServer) or a PC/Mac that is emulating an AirPrint server, you’ll be able to print.

This might provide a useful primer to the AirPrint technology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPrint

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2020 11:35 AM in response to hcsitas

Don’t blame Apple... as AirPrint is not designed to work over wired USB connections.

AirPrint is a network protocol (or more accurately, AirPrint uses a number of network protocols); it’s not designed to work with a USB printer - which is exactly what you have as soon as you rely upon the printer’s USB connection.

If you connect your USB printer to a AirPrint server (such as a Lantronix xPrintServer) or a PC/Mac that is emulating an AirPrint server, you’ll be able to print.

This might provide a useful primer to the AirPrint technology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirPrint

Apr 17, 2020 11:58 AM in response to hcsitas

Check the App Store to see if there is an App from the printer company that can be used on the iPad for printing since the printer is not connected to wi-fi.

We are just uses like you, not Apple, so it isn't necessary to get hostile with your responses. The fact is that AirPrint is how the iOS devices work, and if your device is not connected via wi-fi to the network, then it won't work. If you wish to take out your frustrations about AirPrint, then you need to do that with Apple, and their feedback page is located here, Feedback - iPad - Apple Don't shoot the messenger here.

WiFi-less AirPrint-capable Printer connected to router USB

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.