Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPrint Not Working with 5 gHz WiFi

I’m trying to print wirelessly from a MacBook Pro to a Brother HL-L2350DW. It works fine when the MacBook is connected to the 4.2 gHz wifi, but when I connect to the 5 gHz wifi the Mac says “Looking for printer…”. I can print wirelessly from a Windows laptop that is connected to the 5 gHz wifi, so it seems like it should work from the Mac.

The router is a CenturyLink C4000XG with a single SSID for both frequencies. The router handles which frequency to use for each device. The MacBook stays on the 5, but the printer is always on the 4.2 (can't do 5). If I disable the 5 gHz radio on the router, AirPrint works fine, but then my download speed drops by over 80%.

I read in another post that disabling IPv6 on the printer would fix this problem, but it didn't for me. Another post said that setting up a whole house mesh wireless network would fix it because they automatically route data between the 2.4 gHz and 5 gHz bands without you ever having to worry about it. I have not tried that yet because my wifi coverage seems fine, and the information I've found about mesh networks don't mention that capability.

The MacBook Pro has Ventura 13.0 and the printer and router have the latest firmware.

Thank you for any suggestions.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 11:49 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2022 2:26 PM

Hi,

You may want to have a look at the following article.

https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/73618/~/compatibility-with-5-ghz%2C-dual-band-wireless-router%2C-or-mesh-networks

The Brother HL-L2350DW is a printer supporting the driverless AirPrint technology. AirPrint relies upon Bonjour/mDNS for device discovery. The printer is also listed in the above article.

Since the printer model in question does not have Ethernet (which otherwise would be worth testing in a case like this), you may have to look for some kind of solution based on Wi-Fi, either by changing to another/manual router setting (if possible) or by splitting/renaming bands.

About AirPrint - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2022 2:26 PM in response to FestusHaggen

Hi,

You may want to have a look at the following article.

https://help.brother-usa.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/73618/~/compatibility-with-5-ghz%2C-dual-band-wireless-router%2C-or-mesh-networks

The Brother HL-L2350DW is a printer supporting the driverless AirPrint technology. AirPrint relies upon Bonjour/mDNS for device discovery. The printer is also listed in the above article.

Since the printer model in question does not have Ethernet (which otherwise would be worth testing in a case like this), you may have to look for some kind of solution based on Wi-Fi, either by changing to another/manual router setting (if possible) or by splitting/renaming bands.

About AirPrint - Apple Support

AirPrint Not Working with 5 gHz WiFi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.