You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't Select Text to Copy and Paste

Since updating to iOS 13.4.1, I'm no longer able to select text in a browser, in order to copy and paste it. I can select, copy, and paste in other apps such as iMessage, email, Notes, etc. But, just now when I'm in a browser, reading an article from which I want to copy and paste text. Sadly, after some searching online, I can't find anyone else complaining about this issue. I have an iPhone SE, with the latest update.

iPhone SE, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 1:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 23, 2020 7:49 AM

I have this issue too. My sister does also. This is BS and needs to be fixed ASAP. Unfortunately for me this is a feature that I used 1000 times a day. How do I go back to the previous version of iOS?

192 replies

Sep 14, 2020 7:01 PM in response to Hollyg64

So, I think it is an app issue. Not just Facebook, but other apps, as well. I've notice I'm able to select, copy and paste text while in some apps, but not in others. For instance, I cannot even select text in the Google News app, but I can in most other apps. I can now select text (and copy and paste) in third party browsers, where I once wasn't able to before. So, it does seem like either Apple is working on it, or the app developers are figuring out it's an issue with their own apps. My suggestion would be to alert both the app developer and Apple, and then patiently wait. It worked for me.

Apr 19, 2020 9:14 AM in response to OkieInCO

Hello OkieInCO,

I understand you're no longer able to copy text in your web browser since updating to iOS 13.4.1. I'd like to see if I can help you out with this.

What exactly happens when you try to copy text? Do you see a menu appear with a Copy option, or does the menu not appear at all? Which web browser are you using? If you're using a web browser other than Safari, try copying text in Safari and see if you're able to past it. Try going to the following website on your iPhone and see if it will allow you to copy text there: Type and edit text on iPhone.

If you're using a third-party web browser, install any available updates for it: Update apps or use automatic downloads. Also, restart your iPhone: Restart your iPhone. Test out copying and pasting text afterwards.

Respond back if the issue persists.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care.

Apr 19, 2020 10:56 AM in response to brenden dv

Thanks, Brenden. This was helpful. I was able to select and copy in the Safari browser, but not in the third party browser where I experienced the problem to begin with. So, I've notified the developers of that browser, to let them know of the bug. Hopefully, they'll discover I'm not the only one with the problem, and will push out a fix. Thanks, again.

Apr 22, 2020 10:35 AM in response to OkieInCO

Hello OkieInCO,

It sounds like you have narrowed it down to being an issue only with that particular third-party browser. Contacting the app developers is a great step to take towards getting this resolved. You may want to also consider deleting the app and redownloading it again as this sometimes fixes issues as well. Have a great rest of your day!

Cheers!

Jun 22, 2020 8:03 AM in response to brenden dv

Brenden,

I just swapped out my iPhone 6 for the SE. On the Amazon app they give you tracking but not much detail for the tracking so I like to copy and then paste into my browser to tracking via USPS or whichever carrier they decide to use for shipping. Just so happens I was in the middle of an order when I swapped my phone out. I still have the 6 and I am able to click the tracking number, the entire number is highlighted, and then I can go from there. However, on the SE, I cannot click the number. When I try, nothing happens. No cursor, no highlighted text, no nothing. I cannot select anything. Not sure what is going on since they are both on the same IOS. Thanks for your help.

Can't Select Text to Copy and Paste

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.