Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Which file converters work for FCPX on Catalina?

Catalina users, what file converters do you use to import files into Final Cut Pro X?

I recorded .mov files on a Zoom Q2N Video Recorder, but I can't import them into Final Cut Pro. According to the internet, this is likely because the .mov files have a different codec than the kind that is compatible with Final Cut Pro X. I have tried several different file converters in hopes of producing something compatible with Final Cut Pro, but so far, nothing. I am willing to pay out for Compressor, but I need to know that it will work for Final Cut Pro on Catalina. I am also open to suggestions for other programs that do the job.

If I have said anything wrong, go easy on me. I'm pretty new to video editing.

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 1:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 3:14 PM

You can’t import into a library. You have to import into an event. Please click the button marked import media and follow the process to import. Or select the event, not the library, and try drag and drop.

Similar questions

10 replies

Apr 17, 2020 2:11 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

The folder that the file is in won't even show up when I go to import it. When I try to drag the file directly from Finder, the program won't receive it. When I click on the file and go to "Open With" and "Other," Final Cut Pro is grayed out on the application menu. I can open it in Quicktime, but even after saving a new version of the file, it still won't open in Final Cut Pro.

I included the complete specs here.

Apr 17, 2020 2:44 PM in response to TheGoodBerean

You cannot open a video file in Final Cut Pro. The only file format FCP can open is a library bundle. You have to import the file using the import function or drag and drop. I see no reason why this file doesn't import other than what Luis rightly pointed out. That's why I asked what happens when you try to import. Usually you'll get an error message.

Which file converters work for FCPX on Catalina?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.