Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

5831 screen recording error on iPhone

"Screen recording failed to save due to: -5831"

can i still recover it? could it be somewhere recoverable?

i need it, i have storage space. ios 13.3.1

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 1:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 9:35 AM

Hello lina270,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are getting an error when you try to record your screen. I'm happy to help you find some information.

If the screen recording did not save, there is not a way to retrieve it. I would suggest you restart your iPhone and test it again. Here is a link to help you:

Restart your iPhone

If you have any issues after reviewing the link, please let me know. Also, can you tell me how long you have had this issue? Is it happening constantly, or sporadically? Does this happen while using a particular app?

Have a good day!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2020 9:35 AM in response to lina270

Hello lina270,

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities! I understand you are getting an error when you try to record your screen. I'm happy to help you find some information.

If the screen recording did not save, there is not a way to retrieve it. I would suggest you restart your iPhone and test it again. Here is a link to help you:

Restart your iPhone

If you have any issues after reviewing the link, please let me know. Also, can you tell me how long you have had this issue? Is it happening constantly, or sporadically? Does this happen while using a particular app?

Have a good day!

Jun 1, 2020 1:41 AM in response to lina270

I have the same issue. And it has repeatedly happening even after restarting my phone several times. I was using WhatsApp while recording the video. I've tried even without opening any apps, but just the home page screens, but videos aren't getting saved even though I have enough space on phone storage.

Let me know what's going wrong, or let me know how to send the report to Apple care?

5831 screen recording error on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.