Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

imac airdrop

Hey,

I have an iMac mid 2011 and iPad Air (bought this month). I would like to transfer some files from the iPad to the iMac via AirDrop. However, neither device can discover the other (bluetooth on, dsicovareable to everyone on the iPad) but when I open AirDrop on my iMac it doesn't give me the option to choose to be discoverable to everyone, contacts etc. There is no option to select anything or change the settings within AirDrop. Most peculiar and utterly frustrating. Is the older iMac not compatible with new Apple products?? Surely there is a patch or update that I could install if this is the case? iMac system all up to date and on Sierra. Any guidance would be much appreciated.

iMac Pro

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 2:50 PM

1 reply

Apr 19, 2020 11:44 AM in response to Braveh

Hey Braveh,

I understand that you're unable to see the AirDrop options on the iMac.

One of the requirements for AirDrop on the Mac is that the model needs to have been introduced in 2012 or later (excluding the 2012 Mac Pro). You can learn more about the requirements under "If you can't see the other device in AirDrop" here: Use AirDrop on your Mac - Apple Support. It looks like the iMac mid-2011 is not compatible. iCloud Drive might be a good option for you to transfer files between devices: Set up iCloud Drive - Apple Support.

Have a great day. 

imac airdrop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.