Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Burn to Disk

How do you transfer an iMovie or other long movie project to a disk on the newer MacBook Pro laptops since they do not have a place to insert a disc. My iMovie I created is too long to email. How can I get this to a disc?

MacBook

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 8:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 17, 2020 9:10 PM

It might be easier to export your movie to your desk top and copy your movie to a thumb drive. First format the thumb drive ExFat so it is compatible with Windows PC as well as Mac, and with smart TVs.

To transfer your movie to a DVD you would need to buy an external DVD burner that would plug into your computer. Then you could use the burn program on your Mac to burn the Movie to a DVD-R disc as a data DVD. (See the Finder help menu for instructions.) The movie would need to be less than 4.7 GB in size to fit on the disc.

If the movie is more than 4.7 GB, or you want to add menus and themes, you would need to purchase a DVD authoring program. I think there is one called DVD Maker by Peng Guiping that is available at the app store for $14.99. You would need to export your movie to your desk top and from there drag it into the authoring program or use whatever import procedure that the program requires.

— Rich

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 17, 2020 9:10 PM in response to MNK0000

It might be easier to export your movie to your desk top and copy your movie to a thumb drive. First format the thumb drive ExFat so it is compatible with Windows PC as well as Mac, and with smart TVs.

To transfer your movie to a DVD you would need to buy an external DVD burner that would plug into your computer. Then you could use the burn program on your Mac to burn the Movie to a DVD-R disc as a data DVD. (See the Finder help menu for instructions.) The movie would need to be less than 4.7 GB in size to fit on the disc.

If the movie is more than 4.7 GB, or you want to add menus and themes, you would need to purchase a DVD authoring program. I think there is one called DVD Maker by Peng Guiping that is available at the app store for $14.99. You would need to export your movie to your desk top and from there drag it into the authoring program or use whatever import procedure that the program requires.

— Rich

Apr 17, 2020 9:53 PM in response to Rich839

Thank you this was very helpful. I have one more question for you! If I follow the first method of putting it on a thumb drive and exporting to a desktop, can I just burn it to a DVD from there so that I do not need to purchase an external hard drive? My project needs to be done on a timeline and I’m not sure if I could order and receive it in time.

Apr 17, 2020 10:44 PM in response to MNK0000

To burn a DVD you would always need to have an optical drive to do the burning.

Once you have the movie on a thumb drive you perhaps could plug it in to a friend’s computer that has either an internal or external drive, and burn it from there. Or you might be able to borrow a friend’s external DVD burner. I realize that with all the shelter in place orders and social distancing that it can be difficult to make contact.

You could also simply mail the thumb drive to your friend by postal delivery.

How many GBs is your movie? If up to 5 GB you could email it with a free iCloud email account.

— Rich

Burn to Disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.