Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

ApplePay on iPad

i have a iphone Xr and a ipad air3 and apple pay on both on my iphone i just double click the side button and i can pay for things in store how do i do that on my ipad

iPad Air, iPadOS 13

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 2:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 4:37 AM

At the core of this is a simple inescapable fact; an iPad is not a “big” iPhone - each is not a substitute for the other. Each device has hardware and software features not present on the other.

Your iPhone can be used to make “contactless payments” at stores POS (Point of Sale) terminals - because your iPhone supports NFC (Near Field Communication), this being special hardware that is used to communicate with other NFC-enabled devices (such as POS).

By contrast, your iPad does not have NFC hardware capability - and cannot communicate with a POS terminals or other NFC hardware. As such, unlike your iPhone, iPad can only use ApplePay for online payments.

I hope this information is helpful in clarifying some of the fundamental differences between iPhone and iPad - and Fully answers your questions.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2020 4:37 AM in response to 4000au

At the core of this is a simple inescapable fact; an iPad is not a “big” iPhone - each is not a substitute for the other. Each device has hardware and software features not present on the other.

Your iPhone can be used to make “contactless payments” at stores POS (Point of Sale) terminals - because your iPhone supports NFC (Near Field Communication), this being special hardware that is used to communicate with other NFC-enabled devices (such as POS).

By contrast, your iPad does not have NFC hardware capability - and cannot communicate with a POS terminals or other NFC hardware. As such, unlike your iPhone, iPad can only use ApplePay for online payments.

I hope this information is helpful in clarifying some of the fundamental differences between iPhone and iPad - and Fully answers your questions.

ApplePay on iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.