Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 years of photos deleted from iPhone and iCloud

I switched to an iPhone X in January. When I switched over I enabled iCloud Photos on my phone. It started to download every single photo from my iCloud onto my phone.

With my previous iPhone it would just send new photos to the iCloud and they would be stored that way, instead of them all being synced back to my phone. Is this done by just doing backups and not using iCloud?

I then removed iCloud Photos, and then re-enabled. I am not sure if this would have anything to do with it but I have just noticed, all of my photos from 2017 and 2018 have been completely removed from my iCloud photos and I am truly devastated.

Is there any way of trying to get these back?

iPhone X, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 5:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 7:52 AM

Shanalama, as I understand, iCloud doesn't work as a backup but only as a cloud service. So any changes made on device (be it iPhone, iPad or Macbook) wil result on iCloud too, and vica versa. So if you produce a photo with your iPhone it will be visible on your iCloud, if you delete a photo on your iPhone it will be deleted on iCloud as well.

Check "Recently Deleted" album on your iPhone, where deleted files remain for 30 days. I hope you didn't delete them from there too.

Regards, Žan Luca

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2020 7:52 AM in response to Shanalama

Shanalama, as I understand, iCloud doesn't work as a backup but only as a cloud service. So any changes made on device (be it iPhone, iPad or Macbook) wil result on iCloud too, and vica versa. So if you produce a photo with your iPhone it will be visible on your iCloud, if you delete a photo on your iPhone it will be deleted on iCloud as well.

Check "Recently Deleted" album on your iPhone, where deleted files remain for 30 days. I hope you didn't delete them from there too.

Regards, Žan Luca

2 years of photos deleted from iPhone and iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.