Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No sound until I restart

More and more often since macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Supplemental Update (Install Date 4/8/20) I must restart the computer to get the sound back. Is this a common problem that needs to be fixed or is there a possible remedy? Thank you.

MacBook Pro 15”, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 12:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 1:21 PM

Hard to say.

A Troubleshooting Procedure that may Fix Problems with macOS El Capitan or Later

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.

Be sure to backup your files before proceeding if possible.

1. Shutdown the computer, wait 30 seconds, restart the computer.
  2. Disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  3. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  5. Reset your Startup Disk and Sound preferences, if needed, after resetting the PRAM.
  6. Test in safe mode to see if the problem persists, then restart normally.  Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and Playing Safe - what does Safe mode do?
  7. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.  Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  8. Repair permissions on the Home folderResolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder.
  9. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  10. Download and Install the macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Combo Update.
  11. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears select Install OS X then click on the Continue button.
  12. Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:

1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on the Continue button.

2. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry) from the Device list.

3. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.

4. Set the Format type to APFS (for SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)

5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.

6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.

7. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2020 1:21 PM in response to technology today

Hard to say.

A Troubleshooting Procedure that may Fix Problems with macOS El Capitan or Later

You should try each, one at a time, then test to see if the problem is fixed before going on to the next.

Be sure to backup your files before proceeding if possible.

1. Shutdown the computer, wait 30 seconds, restart the computer.
  2. Disconnect all third-party peripherals.
  3. Resetting your Mac's PRAM and NVRAM
  4. Reset the System Management Controller (SMC)
  5. Reset your Startup Disk and Sound preferences, if needed, after resetting the PRAM.
  6. Test in safe mode to see if the problem persists, then restart normally.  Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac and Playing Safe - what does Safe mode do?
  7. Repair the disk by booting from the Recovery HD. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Utility Menu appears. Choose Disk Utility and click on the Continue button. Select the indented (usually, Macintosh HD) volume entry from the side list.  Click on the First Aid button in the toolbar. Wait for the Done button to appear. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu. Restart the computer from the Apple Menu.
  8. Repair permissions on the Home folderResolve issues caused by changing the permissions of items in your home folder.
  9. Create a New User Account Open Users & Groups preferences. Click on the lock icon and enter your Admin password when prompted. On the left under Current User click on the Add [+] button under Login Options. Setup a new Admin user account. Upon completion log out of your current account then log into the new account. If your problems cease, then consider switching to the new account and transferring your files to it - Transferring files from one User Account to another.
  10. Download and Install the macOS Catalina 10.15.4 Combo Update.
  11. Reinstall OS X by booting from the Recovery HD using the Command and R keys. When the Utility Menu appears select Install OS X then click on the Continue button.
  12. Erase and Install OS X Restart the computer. Immediately after the chime hold down the Command and R keys until the Apple logo appears. When the Utility Menu appears:

1. Select Disk Utility from the Utility Menu and click on the Continue button.

2. When Disk Utility loads select the drive (out-dented entry) from the Device list.

3. Click on the Erase button in Disk Utility's toolbar. A panel will drop down.

4. Set the Format type to APFS (for SSDs only) or Mac OS Extended (Journaled.)

5. Click on the Apply button, then wait for the Done button to activate and click on it.

6. Quit Disk Utility and return to the Utility Menu.

7. Select Install OS X and click on the Continue button.

May 8, 2020 1:00 PM in response to Kappy

Kappy wrote:

Was the problem still fixed when you did a normal startup (not in safe mode?) I wasn't sure if that was the case.

Yes. What I was unclear about in my original post is that although I definitely had no sound in Apple Music I don't remember about Sound Effects. I use a sound enhancer and a loudness meter which complicate things for me because these involve more settings and more possible software to reinstall, etc.

l just noticed that the sound enhancer's Forum has this post from yesterday which may somehow be part of the problem because it is exactly what I experienced.

"Since upgrading to Catalina 10.15.4 I keep having instances where I lose sound altogether whilst [sound enhancer] is active. Sound can be working fine then later when I return to my Mac desktop there’s no sound. It seems the only way to get it back is to reinstall [sound enhancer] over the existing app."

I hope that I keep getting sound because I expect it from a new MacBook Pro 2019.

Jun 10, 2020 11:46 AM in response to technology today

If core audio is crashing, then the fault is probably with the software that is using it. Which wound enhancer are you using? If you are finding that the crash of core audio always happens when the enhancer is run, then you should report that to the developer along with a copy of the crash report.

To me, crash reports are usually meaningless. They are intended for engineers to use with debugging hardware and software, so they can find an fix problems. It's all Greek to me.

Jun 10, 2020 10:49 PM in response to Kappy

The developer has a forum with a post started in April 2020 addressing this problem that has affected a few users since macOS Catalina v.10.15.4 but there is no solution yet. A user thinks that something disables a necessary component of Bongiovi DPS and they will give DPS full disk access just as a wild guess.

I recently reinstalled DPS using fresh installation media found at their site.

About a week ago I emailed a support team member directly and, as I mentioned in my previous post, yesterday I reported my situation to the developer by opening a ticket and including a Console crash report I found with the Process Name: Bongiovi DPS.

I have been using this application since 2015 with no major problems that I can remember. Apple Music works fine if DPS is turned off.

I think that the only other third-party, audio, add-on I am running along with it would be Orban Loudness Meter ('which is designed to meter inputs and as such the speakers aren’t a source for metering. There are several third party applications available that allow internal audio routing that would let you make that route happen') so I need to select DPSReflector instead of MacBook Pro Speakers as the Output Device to see the meters react.

Jun 11, 2020 9:40 AM in response to technology today

I used it from its first release and had a minor incompatibility problem. That was fixed in the next update. It worked well but I had problems with it when doing FaceTimes, so had to turn it off. Otherwise, it worked fine. I hooked up an external sound system, so I no longer needed it. I'm sure the developers will fix the problem. They seemed to be very responsive.

No sound until I restart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.