Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AppleTV wants me to "turn on home sharing in iTunes". Hard to do with iTunes nonexistent

I currently have two appletvs, a 2nd and 3rd generation, with the loss of iTunes I was still able to access my personal extensive music and video collections on my iMac through computers tab on appletv screen, until today. Now appletv wants me to "turn on home sharing in iTunes". Hard to do with iTunes nonexistent. In system presences Sharing tab, "my media" is checked but there is no home sharing box to check as instructed. My libraries for music and video are both so large that I really don't want to have to spring for more iCloud storage to use the iCloud sharing feature. Would this sharing problem be eliminated, and go back to the ease with which I used to access my libraries with a newer appletv 4k box? Just curious.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 4:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 4:58 PM

This article may help: Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

In System Preferences > Sharing, click Media Sharing, then on the right, make sure that "Home Sharing" is checked.

If this doesn't work, you can subscribe to iTunes Match or Apple Music if you don't already and sync your media across all your devices, although this might not work with your Apple TV (2nd generation).

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 18, 2020 4:58 PM in response to darrel132

This article may help: Use Home Sharing to share media from a computer to other devices - Apple Support

In System Preferences > Sharing, click Media Sharing, then on the right, make sure that "Home Sharing" is checked.

If this doesn't work, you can subscribe to iTunes Match or Apple Music if you don't already and sync your media across all your devices, although this might not work with your Apple TV (2nd generation).

AppleTV wants me to "turn on home sharing in iTunes". Hard to do with iTunes nonexistent

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.