Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Book pro 16 crashing

Every time I open my macbook I get the message ( You computer restarted because of a problem )

panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff801d491b2c): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while notifying clients about upcoming system capability changes. Suspected bundle: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily. Thread 0x74.

I have tried a fresh install with the same problem. Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 16", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 5:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 8:10 AM

Had the same problem

Status here

My GPU Panic sleep problem is still solved. I have since installed my video-rendering tools, my developer tools, all my other stuff.

My energy saving stuff is back to normal.

Having it gooing to sleep on power, on batteries

Running 10.15.4

Solution for me was

My brand new macbook pro 16 (Shipped 2. april 2020) also restarted (crashed) over nigth - actually it crashed (Kernel Panic GPU) everytime it went to sleep mode. I had nothing installed except default OSX with updates.

Solution details

1. Reset: Pram & NVRAM (still crashed)
  2. Reset: SMC (still crashed)
  3. Internet Recovery Command+Option+R (when booting) (Crashed under installation, but continued afterwards)
  4. Disabled "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off." & "PowerNap.." in Energy Saver settings (Problems disappeared)
  5. Two days later I enabled "Prevent computer from sleeping...." and "Powernap..." again (Still no problems)

I don't know if step 1-3 is necessary, but I think so.

So a macbook pro 16 that I almost returned, is now working perfectly - and I'm very happy:-)

Similar questions

47 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2020 8:10 AM in response to Jafra83

Had the same problem

Status here

My GPU Panic sleep problem is still solved. I have since installed my video-rendering tools, my developer tools, all my other stuff.

My energy saving stuff is back to normal.

Having it gooing to sleep on power, on batteries

Running 10.15.4

Solution for me was

My brand new macbook pro 16 (Shipped 2. april 2020) also restarted (crashed) over nigth - actually it crashed (Kernel Panic GPU) everytime it went to sleep mode. I had nothing installed except default OSX with updates.

Solution details

1. Reset: Pram & NVRAM (still crashed)
  2. Reset: SMC (still crashed)
  3. Internet Recovery Command+Option+R (when booting) (Crashed under installation, but continued afterwards)
  4. Disabled "Prevent computer from sleeping automatically when the display is off." & "PowerNap.." in Energy Saver settings (Problems disappeared)
  5. Two days later I enabled "Prevent computer from sleeping...." and "Powernap..." again (Still no problems)

I don't know if step 1-3 is necessary, but I think so.

So a macbook pro 16 that I almost returned, is now working perfectly - and I'm very happy:-)

Apr 26, 2020 10:15 AM in response to kristof461

I have had no crashes for 12 days with the original power savings options.

I have had one report in another thread, where a guy could reproduce the problem (I think he only did step 4 and 5 (disabled/enabled power nap)). He reproduced restart by forcing his MacBook Pro 16 to do a lot of work under sleeping (power napping). He forced a big resync of photo library from iCloud.

I have tried but no restart yet. Will try again tonight.

Apr 26, 2020 10:16 AM in response to kristof461

I have had no crashes for 12 days with the original power savings options.

I have had one report in another thread, where a guy could reproduce the problem (I think he only did step 4 and 5 (disabled/enabled power nap)). He reproduced restart by forcing his MacBook Pro 16 to do a lot of work under sleeping (power napping). He forced a big resync of photo library from iCloud.

I have tried but no restart yet. Will try again tonight.

May 4, 2020 5:02 AM in response to Nabarca

I had this same issue on a brand new 16" (received on April 27). I tried every solution I could find, but none of them worked. I ordered a new one, got it on May 1, and will ship out the first machine as a return today. The error code my crashes returned began with "CPU Machine Check Architecture Error Dump," which seems to point to a hardware issue.

May 4, 2020 7:32 AM in response to Gregory Lawhorn

"Luck of the draw. "

I wouldn't say luck of the draw. I do think there may have been a bad run a few units depending on the geographical area. My 16" MBP has not experienced this issue since I bought in late January. That's great your replacement is working, but I think it was just a bad run off the assembly line of a select few.

May 4, 2020 12:11 PM in response to DPJ

What should I do? As I said before I had kernel panic panic(cpu 0 caller 0xffffff8011291b2c): Sleep transition timed out after 180 seconds while notifying clients about upcoming system capability changes.

Had because after disable power nap and prevent monitor.... everything works fine. One disadvantage is that after hibernation I can turn on Mac only with power button. Anyway that’s fine for me. I can work with these settings. Anyway I have still opportunity to send it back. Time till Friday. What would you do? Return or not?

May 4, 2020 12:32 PM in response to kristof461

If you have the option to return it then I would highly recommend that. From there just order another one, or exchange yours. There should no reason to disable Power Nap. I have never done any of this and haven't experienced one crash or kernel panic. While I certainly don't know the real reason for your kernel panics from my own observation it just sounds like a faulty machine.

So if you have already performed a full erase of your drive and reinstall of MacOS Catalina and did not install anything or connect it to anything and tested it fully and it still KP'd then I would be concerned. The main thing is you don't want to return a machine that isn't faulty. For example, as I was mentioning about erasing the drive and not installing any additional softwares. This would help you figure out if it's the system or any corrupt files that you may be installing and don't know are corrupt.

If after a full erase and install and no issues with KP's then I would install your apps one by one making sure there are no panics. Often corrupt files in software causes panics.

May 4, 2020 1:09 PM in response to DPJ

Do you think safe mode try will be same as erase all data? It is my daily work laptop so if safe mode is fine I can check it that way. Other the other hand no power nap is no brainier for me.

There is group of people who have same problem with newest Catalina on older machines so I am not sure if it is hardware issue. I can return it but also I can received much worse

Mac Book pro 16 crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.