Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sony handycams to iMac iMovie

None of my Sony Handycams will let me import my tapes into iMac 2017 to iMovie using a firewire. When connected iMovie shows that it does see the handycam, but it will not allow me to import anything. It does not even let me view or play control from iMovie. I've tried the USB port, restarting my computer, switching the settings in my handycams. Very frustrating....

Sony Handycam models that I have been trying:

DCR-TRV103

DCR-HC40

DCR-HC62

Help please

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 6:46 PM

Similar questions

9 replies

Apr 18, 2020 9:11 PM in response to LostOn3

Hi, LostOn3,

I believe that the owner's manual for the HC40 requires the camera to be turned on before connecting to a Mac. Check your manual to review the steps, if you have not already done so.

Also, here's Apple's instructions for connecting to a tape based camera and importing into iMovie:

https://help.apple.com/imovie/mac/10.1/#/mov6af9c94c1

You also can try importing directly to your Mac instead of into iMovie. You can do that with the Image Capture app on your Mac.

-- Rich

Apr 19, 2020 10:37 AM in response to LostOn3

Try playing the tape by using the play controls on you cam' to give iMovie something to "chew" on.

With the tape playing hit import.

If iMovie sees an input it might do something.

This has worked for some on here in the past.

You could try the Record feature in QuickTime Player which is on your Mac, but it is becoming increasingly more difficult to import tape into iMovie with latter OSs and Macs, although some do have success even using the 2 adaptors that you have mentioned above. Anyway give QTP a go, after trying my first suggestion.

Sony handycams to iMac iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.