Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Non-compatible DV-camera, transferring videos via USB-C

I have one of the first DV-cameras (Panasonic NV-EX1). It is not one of the compatible Panasonic camcorders that are on Apple's list. Anyhow, I remember it worked at some point with old Mac Pro / iMacs.

Now those old computers are gone, but the videocamera and tapes are there. My current computer is Mac Mini 2018.

I need to make sure that I get the right adapters to transfer my video tapes for the last time.

(I also have an old iMac (OS X 10.6.8 I suppose), but this iMac + iMovie did not recognize the signal from video camera. It could be an issue with the iMovie on this computer also.)

Does anyone know for sure, that the video transfer from DV camera can work out with USB C / Thunderbolt 3? If yes, what adapter has been used? Please include links to exact cables / adapters that are known working.

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 12:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 21, 2020 1:17 PM

Hi, janiOFfinland,

Most DV tape cameras will be recognized by iMovie even though they are not specifically listed.

As for the cables necessary, read this link and the links within it, particularly the posts by thesurreyfriends,

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251304950

You will need three cables in all: 4 pin FW>9pin FW>Thunderbolt USB-c. But read the above link for more edification.

-- Rich

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 21, 2020 1:17 PM in response to janiOFfinland

Hi, janiOFfinland,

Most DV tape cameras will be recognized by iMovie even though they are not specifically listed.

As for the cables necessary, read this link and the links within it, particularly the posts by thesurreyfriends,

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/251304950

You will need three cables in all: 4 pin FW>9pin FW>Thunderbolt USB-c. But read the above link for more edification.

-- Rich

Non-compatible DV-camera, transferring videos via USB-C

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.