Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Panasonic DV400C mini DV tape transfer to desktop iMAC issues

I have a new firewire connected to this camcorder and a new Apple firewire to thunderbolt connector and my iMAC still does not recognize the camera in any software.

Any advice? thanks

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jan 29, 2023 7:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2023 2:56 PM

If you connect your Thunderbolt2-Firewire adapter to your Mac but do not see it listed in Apple > About This Mac > System Report > Thunderbolt then the adapter may be bad.

And at this point it would be helpful to know the exact model iMac you have and the version of macOS currently running.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 31, 2023 2:56 PM in response to LeMu5

If you connect your Thunderbolt2-Firewire adapter to your Mac but do not see it listed in Apple > About This Mac > System Report > Thunderbolt then the adapter may be bad.

And at this point it would be helpful to know the exact model iMac you have and the version of macOS currently running.

Jan 31, 2023 11:22 AM in response to LeMu5

First check that the camera is able to play back the tape in the camera and video is showing on either the viewfinder or colour monitor

Connect the Firewire cable from the camera to the Mac

Set the power switch to VCR then press the play button on the tape control to playback the tape

Open Quicktime Player, its in the Applications folder:

• Go to:  File > New Movie Recording
  • A live picture should be seen on QuickTime Player window
  • To copy: 
  • play video tape from the required starting point
  • Move the mouse over the QuickTime Player window to reveal the control panel
  • Click on the down arrow in the control panel and 
  • select the DV camera for video
  • select the DV camera for sound source 
  • Check for sound on the level meter
  • Click on red button to start recording
  • Click on the black button to stop recording
  • Save the video file

Jan 31, 2023 1:41 PM in response to LeMu5

1 - You do not need any Panasonic software to have your Mac 'recognize' your camcorder. It's a miniDV camcorder that has an iLink (aka IEEE 1394, aka Firewire) output. Technically, that's all you need to connect a miniDV camcorder to a Mac (understanding, of course that since your 2015 iMac has Thunderbolt2 ports you also need the Thunderbolt2-to-Firewire adapter).

2 - Even when connected, you will not 'see' the camcorder on your desktop, in /Library or even in System Report. But you could (and probably should) check Apple > About This Mac > System Report > Thunderbolt to verify that your Mac 'sees' the Thunderbolt2-Firewire adapter.

3 - Check Import into iMovie on Mac from tape-based cameras - Apple Support for all the procedures to connect your camcorder and use iMovie to import from it. Especially - iMovie needs to be in Import mode in order to capture from a camcorder. Merely hitting play on the camcorder will not start an import.

I understand that you may have already tried or done some of these things, but just in case, I wanted to mention them.

Jan 31, 2023 6:59 PM in response to LeMu5

Is it an Apple Thunderbolt-to-Firewire adapter, or a 3rd party (not Apple) adapter?

Hard to tell if the fault is the adapter or the port. If you have a non-Apple adapter I would suspect that first.

If it's an Apple adapter, could you possibly try it on another Mac ... if it works on another Mac that would tend to indicate the problem is with the ports on the iMac.

Jan 30, 2023 7:19 PM in response to Rudegar

@Rudegar thanks I will try it one more time.

Prior to posting the questions, I had tried to open it/import in all the apple apps, and downloaded the LifeFix DVD software and nothing will make this puppy show up in any import status nor on the desktop or hidden in the libraries.

I talked with Apple tech who told me I need panasonic's software to recognize the camera. I contacted Panasonic and they told me the camera that I have was only meant for upload to PC and that software is no longer working on PC either.

I have a fire wire from the camera attached to an Apple brand firewire to thunderbolt connector and plugged into my thunderbolt on the back of the late 2015 iMAC desktop. The camera batteries are at 100 percent, the camera is on "video", hit play and nothing, no icons, so sign of the computer recognizing the camera ergo no import.

I have yet to try premier pro, but will need to purchase that, and doubt it will "see" the camera if basic apps cannot.

Let me know your thoughts!

Jan 31, 2023 2:27 PM in response to MartinR

@MartinR thanks

1 - yes I have all the proper cords to attach. would seem obvious it should just work but it does not.

2 - I will check if my MAC if it sees the thunderbolt > any suggestions if it does not

3 - I know how to import been at this rodeo on professional level over 20 years, which is why this simple task is ridiculously not working.

Jan 31, 2023 3:37 PM in response to MartinR

@MartinR > you are right. Neither thunderbolt slot is recognizing the device.

Does that mean the connector is bad or the port?

iMAC late 2015 Model and OS version is Mojave 10.14.6 [yeah I know don't ask > I had installed Big Sur and Monterey in 2021, and it messed up [deleted in some cases] my Adobe and iTunes so I reverted back to Mojave, which then caused my hard drive to partition. its been a mess. h.e.l.p.

Panasonic DV400C mini DV tape transfer to desktop iMAC issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.