Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to type a Spanish question mark

I have a new macbook pro purchased in Spain. I've set the keyboard to English but can't type a question mark. Tried all sorts of combinations but I only get dashes _– —  —_. Thanks in advance.

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 18, 2020 9:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 10:21 AM

Niel wrote:

The English layout with Spanish symbols on the letters.

Thanks, I get it now. But Apple uses the "Spanish ISO" layout for printing its keyboards, which is different than "Spanish", so ? would be Shift -, if the input source were English.

6 replies

Apr 19, 2020 10:00 AM in response to Spanishquestion

Spanishquestion wrote:

I have a new macbook pro purchased in Spain. I've set the keyboard to English but can't type a question mark. Tried all sorts of combinations but I only get dashes _– —  —_.

But if you get that, your keyboard is NOT set to English, it is set to Spanish ISO (which is correct for the printing on the keys of a Spanish keyboard to match the output). In Spanish ISO, the ? is at shift ' and ¿ is at shift ¡.

If you really want your keyboard to have the English mapping, go to system preferences/keyboard/input sources and make sure there is only one item on the list, and that the name of that item is "US". Get rid of "Spanish ISO" or "Spanish". But then output will not match what is printed on the keys of a Spanish machine.

How to type a Spanish question mark

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.