Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13.4.1 - Restarts my phone

I updated operating system iOS 13.4.1 and my iPhone began to reboot independently. When I work in programs, look at photos or talk - my phone can reboot at any time. What to do?

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 12:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 1:19 AM

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen

If your device has a frozen screen, doesn't respond when you touch it, or becomes stuck when you turn it on, learn what to do.

If your screen is black or frozen

If your screen is black or frozen, you might need to force restart your device. A force restart won't erase the content on your device. You can force restart your device even if the screen is black or the buttons aren't responding. Follow these steps:

• iPad models with Face ID: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then press and hold the Power button until the device restarts.
  • iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
  • iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPod touch (7th generation): Press and hold both the Top (or Side) button and the Volume Down buttons until you see the Apple logo.
  • iPad with Home button, iPhone 6s or earlier, and iPod touch (6th generation) or earlier: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons until you see the Apple logo.

If your device still won't turn on or start up

Plug in your device and let it charge for up to one hour.

After a few minutes, you should see the charging screen. 

If you don't see the charging screen within an hour, or you see the connect to power screen, check the jack, USB cable, and power adapter. Make sure that everything is plugged in firmly, free of debris, and not damaged. You might want to try a different USB cable or power adapter.

If your device still doesn't turn on, see what to do next.

If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up

If you see the Apple logo or a red or blue screen during startup, try these steps:

1. Connect your device to a computer. On a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15, open Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes.
  2. Locate your device on your computer.
  3. While your device is connected, follow these steps:
    • iPad models with Face ID: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Press and hold the Top button until your device begins to restart. Continue holding the Top button until your device goes into recovery mode.
    • iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery mode screen.
    • iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPod touch (7th generation): Press and hold the Top (or Side) and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery mode screen.
  • iPad with Home button, iPhone 6s or earlier, and iPod touch (6th generation) or earlier: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery mode screen.
  1. When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. Your computer will try to reinstall iOS or iPadOS without erasing your data.

Your computer will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.

53 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2020 1:19 AM in response to Art-a-Designer

If your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch won't turn on or is frozen

If your device has a frozen screen, doesn't respond when you touch it, or becomes stuck when you turn it on, learn what to do.

If your screen is black or frozen

If your screen is black or frozen, you might need to force restart your device. A force restart won't erase the content on your device. You can force restart your device even if the screen is black or the buttons aren't responding. Follow these steps:

• iPad models with Face ID: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then press and hold the Power button until the device restarts.
  • iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then press and hold the Side button until you see the Apple logo.
  • iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPod touch (7th generation): Press and hold both the Top (or Side) button and the Volume Down buttons until you see the Apple logo.
  • iPad with Home button, iPhone 6s or earlier, and iPod touch (6th generation) or earlier: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons until you see the Apple logo.

If your device still won't turn on or start up

Plug in your device and let it charge for up to one hour.

After a few minutes, you should see the charging screen. 

If you don't see the charging screen within an hour, or you see the connect to power screen, check the jack, USB cable, and power adapter. Make sure that everything is plugged in firmly, free of debris, and not damaged. You might want to try a different USB cable or power adapter.

If your device still doesn't turn on, see what to do next.

If your device turns on but gets stuck during start up

If you see the Apple logo or a red or blue screen during startup, try these steps:

1. Connect your device to a computer. On a Mac with macOS Catalina 10.15, open Finder. On a Mac with macOS Mojave 10.14 or earlier, or on a PC, open iTunes.
  2. Locate your device on your computer.
  3. While your device is connected, follow these steps:
    • iPad models with Face ID: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Press and hold the Top button until your device begins to restart. Continue holding the Top button until your device goes into recovery mode.
    • iPhone 8 or later: Press and quickly release the Volume Up button. Press and quickly release the Volume Down button. Then, press and hold the Side button until you see the recovery mode screen.
    • iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, and iPod touch (7th generation): Press and hold the Top (or Side) and Volume Down buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery mode screen.
  • iPad with Home button, iPhone 6s or earlier, and iPod touch (6th generation) or earlier: Press and hold both the Home and the Top (or Side) buttons at the same time. Keep holding them until you see the recovery mode screen.
  1. When you get the option to restore or update, choose Update. Your computer will try to reinstall iOS or iPadOS without erasing your data.

Your computer will download the software for your device. If it takes more than 15 minutes, your device will exit recovery mode and you'll need to repeat steps 2 and 3.

Jun 8, 2020 11:38 AM in response to Art-a-Designer

I've also been having this problem on iPhone XS immediately since updating to iOS 13.4. My wife has the same phone and has not had this problem. My iPad also has been fine.

I've tried every type of reset up to DFU level -- nothing has worked.

I called customer support (since the stores have been closed), and they had no additional ideas from what I've already tried. The cost to repair through Apple was ~$500.

Some additional notes:

• The phone only restarts when I'm not using it and it's asleep
  • It mainly restarts at about 1:30 in the afternoon and at about 1:30 am. It's not uncommon for it to restart first thing in the morning after I unplug it.
  • I have TONS of kernel panic logs that match to the restart times (as it should).
  • There are also syncdefaultsd reports that correlate with each of the kernel panics. They consistently happen a few seconds before the kernel panics.
  • I've tried toggling the iCloud backup, keychain, etc.

I'm in the process of updating to 13.5.1 now, so I'll see if that helps resolve the issue. I'm doubtful it will based on other's comments in this thread.

May 15, 2020 3:01 AM in response to SravanKrA

Hey SravanKrA,

Stop copying things from the Support FAQ and then paste and claim it as your "kind" support to the others, I would prefer to know that this is a bug from iOS than listening to a robot-human-being like you.

Have you ever truly read this topic's title and carefully understand people's problem or just want to earn some credit toward your account to make it as Level 10 out of nothing but copying and pasting? I know you want others to think that you are acting nice but please stop, we want a real solution from Apple, not copied things. His phone is rebooting continuously after UPDATING to 13.4.1! Not getting stuck on frozen screen during boot time or something that you have described, NONE of it!

P/S: I have this problem too, it's really annoying but I cannot roll back to previous version, that's kinda suck!

Thank you!

May 21, 2020 12:11 PM in response to OlgaStud

Yeah, thing is just like that and people keeps telling us the faulty was from our hardware, some say to sell out the phone, some say to handle it to service center. To me, I'm keen on keeping my device and wait till Apple releases some patches to fix this problem cause I don't want any kind of "un-authorized" Apple service centers touch to my authentic device.

May 25, 2020 1:08 AM in response to SravanKrA

Please Stop copying things from the Support FAQ.

I think this common problem in iPad Pro ((10.5-inch) related to IOS 13 updates. I need help to be able to fix it. My iPad Pro also started rebooting about every three minutes after the 13.4.1 update. I need to be able to fix it. Apple- please help. iPads are expensive and should not need to be replaced in less than 2 years.

May 26, 2020 3:45 PM in response to Art-a-Designer

Well, it’s official...at least in my mind. I have an iPhone XR, my work cell is an iPhone X, my iPad mini is a 5th gen and I have an iPad Pro 12”. They have all been updated and are all rebooting whenever they wish. Middle of a WebEx, a call, trying to take a photo. Does anyone have any information on Apple’s reply to this mess? I’ve not seen any public statements regarding this major issue.

iOS 13.4.1 - Restarts my phone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.