Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

My iPAD is stuck with a search screen

How can I restart my iPad? I have tried holding all three buttons.

Posted on Dec 5, 2022 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2023 6:32 AM

Holding all three buttons is not going to reset your iPad. The model that you have has a particular way to get it to “restart”.

1. Quickly Press and release Volume Up
  2. Quickly press and release Volume Down
  3. Press and hold Siri/Wake button until you see the Apple Logo on the screen

If you get a slider that shows up to slide to power off, ignore this slider and just continue to hold the Siri/Wake button until you see the Apple Logo. You’ll see the screen turn off and then a few moments later the logo will appear. Once you see the logo, you can release the Siri/Wake button and allow the iPad to continue to boot as normal.

Once this process is complete, you have successfully restarted your iPad. It can take a few tries to get the rhythm correct, but once you get it and hold the power button and see it either show the slider or go blank, you know you got it and just continue to hold the button until you see the logo.

31 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2023 6:32 AM in response to 3lilja

Holding all three buttons is not going to reset your iPad. The model that you have has a particular way to get it to “restart”.

1. Quickly Press and release Volume Up
  2. Quickly press and release Volume Down
  3. Press and hold Siri/Wake button until you see the Apple Logo on the screen

If you get a slider that shows up to slide to power off, ignore this slider and just continue to hold the Siri/Wake button until you see the Apple Logo. You’ll see the screen turn off and then a few moments later the logo will appear. Once you see the logo, you can release the Siri/Wake button and allow the iPad to continue to boot as normal.

Once this process is complete, you have successfully restarted your iPad. It can take a few tries to get the rhythm correct, but once you get it and hold the power button and see it either show the slider or go blank, you know you got it and just continue to hold the button until you see the logo.

Jan 23, 2023 2:23 PM in response to UTBadger

I am having the same issues. It’s happens 4 times in the last two hours for my child. It’s in guided access for her to use as a communication device. No idea how but she makes search appear and the iPad freezes. Can’t get out of it. I can get out go guided access even turn the screen on and off but the search is still there preventing you from using the device.

Mar 4, 2023 9:48 AM in response to 3lilja

The above restart suggestion with the volume and power button pattern DID NOT work for me.

Instead, I had to do a "hey siri" then I asked siri to restart the ipad for me, it said I would have to unlock the ipad first, but luckily my face id worked to do so, and then I was able to click RESTART when siri offered the button option. Very odd experience.

Dec 7, 2022 7:19 AM in response to 3lilja

Hey 3lilja,

We'll be happy to help out with your unresponsive iPad. You mentioned holding all 3 buttons, however there's a specific order in which you'd need to do so in order to force a restart:

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:
1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
3. Press and hold the top button.
4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

This is outlined in more detail here: Force restart iPad - Apple Support

We hope this helps out.

Take care!

May 1, 2023 12:12 AM in response to 3lilja

Hi,

I believe the below steps should help (I had a same issue and was able to resolve it):

• provided Siri still works when you hold the side/top button
  • enable Siri and say “restart my iPad”
  • Siri then will ask you to unlock the device and show the PIN screen
  • unlock the device with your PIN and Siri will reconfirm if you want to Restart or Cancel.
  • select Restart

yay!

Jul 24, 2023 6:39 AM in response to 3lilja

i manage ipads at my workplace with Intune and apple business manager and we have had a bunch of ipads go into this stuck search widget. the first ipad one of my guys just let the power drain which took like a week but i am glad i found this article. quickly press volume up, quickly press volume down, hold power worked in my case. typically i can just reboot in intune but the wifi wasnt connected.

HOPEFULLY APPLE CAN ADDRESS PLEASE?

not yelling just calling attention :)

Mar 19, 2023 11:28 AM in response to 3lilja

The reset as UTBadger pointed out helped me.

The issue happens when guided access is active and you swipe down with 1 finger on the center off the lock screen.

You can disable this search under "Face ID & Passcode" then turn off "Today view and search"

(In the case the hole face id menu is missing under settings see Face ID and passcode missing - Apple Community)

My iPAD is stuck with a search screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.