You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activity app - Thumbnail map only displays when running, not walking

I like to use my Apple Watch to track my walking activities. I've noticed if the Workout is set to 'running' it will record a map of where I've been. But if I choose 'walking' it doesn't.

Is this just how it is or should I be getting a map for walking too? If so, what could be going wrong?

(Apple Watch S4, watch OS 6.2.1)

THANKS

Apple Watch

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 3:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 4:18 AM

Unpair and re-pair the watch and selelect setup as new,you will be asked if you want to enable route tracking answer yes and you will be able to select while using the app in location settings on the phone in Settings/Privacy/Location Services/Apple Watch Workout.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Apr 19, 2020 4:18 AM in response to fizzyfizz

Unpair and re-pair the watch and selelect setup as new,you will be asked if you want to enable route tracking answer yes and you will be able to select while using the app in location settings on the phone in Settings/Privacy/Location Services/Apple Watch Workout.

Apr 19, 2020 3:59 AM in response to fizzyfizz

Check these settings;

To see the map, you must turn on route tracking. On your iPhone, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services,turn location services on then tap Apple Watch Workout, then tap While Using the App.

Then tap on maps then tap While using the app.

Then tap on System Services and turn on motion calibration and distance.

Another place to check is on the watch in settings/privacy/Location Services and make sure this is turned on and scroll down to apple watch workout and select while using the app.

Apr 19, 2020 4:13 AM in response to Community User

Thanks for the reply. But why would I get a map of my running route successfully recorded but not walking?

A couple of things... I don't appear to have Apple Watch Workout in my Location Services list on the iPhone.

And also, the options for watch workout on the Apple Watch are greyed out. It's currently set to 'Ask'.

I wonder if this could be causing some issues?

Activity app - Thumbnail map only displays when running, not walking

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.