Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to turn off "optimized storage" for iCloud drive on Mac ?

Hi everybody,

I'm running the latest version of Catalina on my two Macs (10.15.4).

I recently moved all my files from Dropbox to iCloud drive on one of my Macs. Surprisingly, the files do not all download to my other mac. I can see all the files but some (probably older files) do not download. I have to download them if I want to use them.

After some research, I found out that this feature is called "optimized storage" and is designed to save space on your harddrive. For me, it makes no sense, as I want to be in control of my files and I have plenty of space available. So I want to turn this option of "optimized storage" off.

However, there does not seem to be a box to untick in the storage options of iCould drive anymore, as there apparently used to be in previous versions of the OS.

Does anyone else have this issue ? Or do you guys know how to fix it ?

I hope this isn't some new invention of Apple. I understand the function may be useful to some people but you must be able tu turn it OFF.

Thanks a lot for your help !

Best,

François

MacBook Pro 15", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 6:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 8:37 AM

The "optimise" checkmark has been moved in Catalina. It is no longer in the icloud Drive options.

Open System Preferences > Apple ID and click "iCloud" in the sidebar.

Below the pane with the iCloud applications and above the iCloud Storage bar you will see the checkmark for "Optimise Storage".

Similar questions

3 replies

How to turn off "optimized storage" for iCloud drive on Mac ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.