Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Drive on Mac

Hey! I am using old MacBoor Air with 120Gb memories. Since it’s a little I bought 250Gb storage on iCloud. When I install new OS I always encounter the problem of space available on my Mac: the new OS files take about 10Gb of memory plus it requires another 14Gb for installation. Of course this forces me to delete a lot of apps and files from my physical disk on my Mac. However, as soon as I free some space, iCloud Drive download files back to my Mac (since optimizations is on). I’m always forced to switch of WiFi to avoid this. Is there a smart way to keep files on iCloud without downloading them to Mac if some space suddenly available on SSD?

thank you in advance!

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 2:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 24, 2020 4:40 AM

Maybe it should, didn’t work for me. If I check storage, iCloud Drive secretion started growing from 3Gb to 10Gb and downloading files (even very old ones). I had to switch off WiFi to stop the process, copy all files to external SSD and delete everything from Mac (again). Only then I was able to install new OS. I believe Apple should come up with better solution.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 24, 2020 4:40 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Maybe it should, didn’t work for me. If I check storage, iCloud Drive secretion started growing from 3Gb to 10Gb and downloading files (even very old ones). I had to switch off WiFi to stop the process, copy all files to external SSD and delete everything from Mac (again). Only then I was able to install new OS. I believe Apple should come up with better solution.

iCloud Drive on Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.