Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FaceTime missing on ipad

Hi.. I understand FaceTime is not available for ipad in few countries.. I think a friend had bought my ipad from Dubai as a gift for me.. I am Singaporean and live in Singapore and want to use FaceTime to talk to my friends and family during this lock down time. how can I download FaceTime app on my ipad. It gives a message that this feature is not available on this device. Please help.

iPad, iPadOS 13

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 9:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 2:45 AM

Apple doesn’t exclude FaceTime from their products because they have a choice - they do so because local laws prohibit use of certain services (in this case FaceTime is prohibited by law in UAE).

As such, in this instance, Apple products sold in UAE don’t incorporate services that are prohibited. Technically, the product’s region-specific model number will inhibit loading of Apps that are not intended for use in the region in which it is sold. Removing the product from the country of purchase does not lift this hardware/software restriction.

Some other countries have similar restrictions - that prohibit the sale of products that do not conform to their laws. These restrictions don’t just relate to services and software, but may also apply to other characteristics (physical, electrical etc.)

I hope this clarification is helpful. Sorry that we can’t provide a technical solution that will allow you to bypass this restriction.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2020 2:45 AM in response to preetiSG

Apple doesn’t exclude FaceTime from their products because they have a choice - they do so because local laws prohibit use of certain services (in this case FaceTime is prohibited by law in UAE).

As such, in this instance, Apple products sold in UAE don’t incorporate services that are prohibited. Technically, the product’s region-specific model number will inhibit loading of Apps that are not intended for use in the region in which it is sold. Removing the product from the country of purchase does not lift this hardware/software restriction.

Some other countries have similar restrictions - that prohibit the sale of products that do not conform to their laws. These restrictions don’t just relate to services and software, but may also apply to other characteristics (physical, electrical etc.)

I hope this clarification is helpful. Sorry that we can’t provide a technical solution that will allow you to bypass this restriction.

Apr 19, 2020 6:26 PM in response to stedman1

I wonder why out of all countries in the world UAE is excluded from using FaceTime.. Duryfree shops at Dubai Airport sell iPads which are bought by Out bound travellers from other countries, without knowing this restrictions .. Apple must ban sale of iPads in Dubai airport duty free shops. I also expect Apple to give a solution to those who unknowingly bought iPads from Dubai airport duty free shops while traveling out ..

FaceTime missing on ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.