Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When I log into my user I am sent to guest user ( after entering correct password) ( was running High Sierra10.13.6)

Hi- had a sign in issue a few weeks ago. I got my password wrong then my apple id wrong too on my macbook air.

Now I have my user password and apple id correct- but cannot log into my account on the macbook, which was the only account I had set up, therefore held the admin privileges I think.

I start up laptop

• my name/ symbol appears
  • I enter the correct password
  • it then sends me to guest user, but I do not know what the guest user password is (cannot ever remember setting one up).

• I do not have a timemachine backup.
  • I think I have filevault enabled ( but not 100% sure and do not know the password or recovey key for it)
  • Tried to reinstall High Sierra, but says I need 250GB space, and says I only have 80 GB, ditto with installing Catalina ( So did not try on either as did not want to get stuck half way through for lack of space)
  • Thought about installing Catalina, but it says I need 250gb of space and I only have 80gb
  • If I Command R into recovery mode

Startup Disk

I select MacOS macOS,10.13.6, and restart it. Then once again I click on my user, enter the correct password and get sent to Guest User ( again I do not know the password for that)

Any help appreciated. Some photos below.

Thank you.

MacBook Air 13", macOS 10.13

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 1:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 19, 2020 1:53 PM

Have you run First aid on it?

Do you have a Time Machine backup to Restore to/from?

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/revert-to-a-previous-macos-version-mh15216/mac

You can create a new administrator account by restarting the Setup Assistant:

1. Boot into Single User Mode: Start/restart your Mac. As soon as you hear the startup tone, press and hold ⌘ + S until you see a black screen with white lettering. (If you end up back on the login screen after a flash of the black screen with white lettering, enter your password and it will return to the black screen.)
  2. Check and repair the drive by typing /sbin/fsck -fy then ↩ enter - as directed by the on-screen text.
  3. Mount the drive as read-write by typing /sbin/mount -uw / then ↩ enter.
  4. Remove the Apple Setup Done file by typing rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone then ↩ enter.
  5. Reboot by typing reboot then ↩ enter.
  6. Complete the setup process, creating a new admin account.

Be very careful to notice the spaces in those Terminal Commands.

Once you've done that the computer reboots and it's like the first time you used the machine. Your old accounts are all safe. From there you just change all other account passwords in the account preferences!!

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 19, 2020 1:53 PM in response to trektheandes

Have you run First aid on it?

Do you have a Time Machine backup to Restore to/from?

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/revert-to-a-previous-macos-version-mh15216/mac

You can create a new administrator account by restarting the Setup Assistant:

1. Boot into Single User Mode: Start/restart your Mac. As soon as you hear the startup tone, press and hold ⌘ + S until you see a black screen with white lettering. (If you end up back on the login screen after a flash of the black screen with white lettering, enter your password and it will return to the black screen.)
  2. Check and repair the drive by typing /sbin/fsck -fy then ↩ enter - as directed by the on-screen text.
  3. Mount the drive as read-write by typing /sbin/mount -uw / then ↩ enter.
  4. Remove the Apple Setup Done file by typing rm /var/db/.AppleSetupDone then ↩ enter.
  5. Reboot by typing reboot then ↩ enter.
  6. Complete the setup process, creating a new admin account.

Be very careful to notice the spaces in those Terminal Commands.

Once you've done that the computer reboots and it's like the first time you used the machine. Your old accounts are all safe. From there you just change all other account passwords in the account preferences!!

When I log into my user I am sent to guest user ( after entering correct password) ( was running High Sierra10.13.6)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.