Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to Log in to Guest user or restart Laptop

I noticed that Guest User is logged in on my Mac Book Pro, but I can't log in to Guest User as I don't know the password. Furthermore, when I try and restart my laptop I get the message:

"Restarting may cause other users logged into this computer to lose unsaved changes. To avoid losing unsaved changes, log out of all users before restarting. To continue without saving changes, enter an admin name and password and then click Restart"

This has never occurred before when I log out otu restart my laptop from my regular user profile.

However, when I enter my Admin Name & password it says the name is incorrect. But, the name and password are identical to those in User & Group Preferences. Therefore I am currently unable to log out or shutdown.

MacBook Pro 13", OS X 10.11

Posted on May 7, 2019 9:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 8, 2019 11:35 AM

Thank you for your reply. My problem is now solved, thank you. I did as you instructed and the Guest User window is the same as the one you posted above. The 'Allow guests to log in to this computer' was checked, so I unchecked it, logged out, logged back in again and checked it and evrything returned to normal. I can now log in to Guest User without a password. So the mystery is why I needed a password before when the ''Allow guests to log in to this computer' was checked?

Anyway all is sorted now, and I really appreciate your time on this, I know it is all voluntary.

Cheers..

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 8, 2019 11:35 AM in response to sberman

Thank you for your reply. My problem is now solved, thank you. I did as you instructed and the Guest User window is the same as the one you posted above. The 'Allow guests to log in to this computer' was checked, so I unchecked it, logged out, logged back in again and checked it and evrything returned to normal. I can now log in to Guest User without a password. So the mystery is why I needed a password before when the ''Allow guests to log in to this computer' was checked?

Anyway all is sorted now, and I really appreciate your time on this, I know it is all voluntary.

Cheers..

May 8, 2019 11:12 AM in response to patnevinwasgood

Admittedly you stated you are using OS X El Capitan (now three years old), and I am using MacOS Mojave. I don't recall any changes to what I'm about to suggest, but I may have forgotten.

Open System Preferences > Users & Groups and while logged in as an Administrator, if you inspect the Guest User settings, you should see something like the following:

Do you see substantial differences? As you can see above, the ways to control the Guest User account center around Parental Controls.

May 8, 2019 2:49 AM in response to sberman

Thank you for you reply. In my case if I click on my name at the top right of the screen the orange ticks indicate that both Guest User and I are logged in. If I click on Guest User it takes me to the log in screen where there is an empty box requesting that I enter a pasaword in order to log in to guest User, but as stated I don't know the password as I didn't set one up. Hence I can't restart my laptop as other people are logged in, but I cannot see a way to log them out.

I am using El Capitan 10.11.6 on a Late 2011 MBP.

Any help would be really appreciated.

May 8, 2019 10:16 AM in response to patnevinwasgood

Hello, I have an update on this issue.

In regards to restarting my laptop I realised I was using the wrong username. I was using the name that appears in the Users & Groups window, when in actual fact I should have been using the name of the home folder. When I put the Home Folder Name & password in the 'others logged into this computer..' window my laptop restarted.

Now when I go to the Users & Groups window I am logged out of 'Guest User' and it is not greyed out. However, when I click on 'Guest User' I am taken to the login screen where a password is still required. I understand that there should be no need for a password for 'Guest User' log in, but in my case there does appear to be one needed.

Any suggestions would be appreciated...

Unable to Log in to Guest user or restart Laptop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.