Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook 2009 Running OSX ver 10.11.6 cannot enter password, flashing cursor only, guest access only, please advise

I have a Macbook 2009 Running version 10.11.6 and cannot enter my password in the 'Enter Password' field - flashing cursor only, guest access only available, please advise.

The detail...

Initially I had a 'Bluetooth Wireless Mouse set-up' dialogue box blocking mouse usage.

Advised to get wires mouse by Apple.

Did so.

Now have control of mouse but can only access guest account which does not allow me access to my files on my main profile.

Bizarrely it has worked on my profile once, but alas, no more.

I feel I am close to resolving this but Apple won't touch it due to its age obviously.

It's had a new hard drive installed months ago at the same time as the software installation, was working perfectly and has no hardware issues, its had very light use so I'd like to cure this.

Any advice warmly appreciated.

Thanks,

Si

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on Apr 25, 2020 12:37 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 26, 2020 12:59 AM

My next move would be an SMC reset which on laptops with a removable battery, like your 2009 MacBook, is done as follows:

1. Shut down the computer
  2. Remove the battery
  3. Press and hold the power button for five seconds
  4. Put the battery back in
  5. Turn on the computer

Failing that, you could try an NVRAM reset.

While I'm not sure either of these resets covers keyboard issues, I'm confident there's no harm in trying.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 26, 2020 12:59 AM in response to armobo

My next move would be an SMC reset which on laptops with a removable battery, like your 2009 MacBook, is done as follows:

1. Shut down the computer
  2. Remove the battery
  3. Press and hold the power button for five seconds
  4. Put the battery back in
  5. Turn on the computer

Failing that, you could try an NVRAM reset.

While I'm not sure either of these resets covers keyboard issues, I'm confident there's no harm in trying.

Apr 25, 2020 3:13 AM in response to medwds

Hello Medwds,

Just tried, keyboard does not work within guest account but I know it worked a few days ago when I briefly got in through my main user account.

I have a friend with a wireless keyboard, I'll pick it up and see what results I get.

Will keep you posted. Thanks for getting back to me.

Kind regards,

Si

Apr 25, 2020 4:15 AM in response to medwds

Borrowed a USB keyboard and now have access to my profiled account which is good.

I'm still not convinced the keyboard hardware is faulty - would be interested to hear any thoughts on this - particularly as it was working fine two or so days ago.

As I say this computer has hardly traveled in its life. I suspect - but have no evidence that this is a software issue - particularly as it keep initializing the Bluetooth Mouse Set-up dialogue box - but this is not interfering with operations no which is good.

Kind regards,

Si

Apr 26, 2020 1:32 AM in response to medwds

Hello,

Thanks muchly for your replies.

SMC reset complete.

NVRAM reset complete.

Now using a wired keyboard and wired mouse with Macbook.

Still no access to inbuilt trackpad/mouse or inbuilt keyboard.

Otherwise all other functions are good.

Any further suggestions welcome.

Thanks again for your help thus far.

Kind regards,

Si

Macbook 2009 Running OSX ver 10.11.6 cannot enter password, flashing cursor only, guest access only, please advise

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.