Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Create Guest User Account

I am having problems logging on to Guest User. I went through SP/Users & Groups/checked the padlock/clicked on left side Guest User. I then restarted Macbook and got the two accounts on the desk top. Clicked on Guest User but it wouldnt load up. The apple logo white start up bar only reached half way. A new window opened about internet connection and that was it. Can anyone help as I need to have my MBP late 2013 battery serviced. Its on 714 cycles - 'Service Recommendation' . I am assuming activating Guest User would afford some kind of protection when I hand it over.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 12:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2020 3:36 AM

Thanks Antonio - thats really helpful. You are right, anything too complicated I would not attempt but I am reassured by what you wrote. FireVault is enabled and there is a password on my account so fingers crossed I can get it fixed before our UK lockdown this week! Kind Regards

Similar questions

4 replies

Nov 2, 2020 3:26 AM in response to sylvia296

". . . assuming activating Guest User would afford some kind of protection . . . "

Not really. Anyone who knows enough can bypass it as well any other accounts you have installed. You could set a firmware password and/or activate Filevault:

Set a firmware password on your Mac

Encrypt Mac data with FileVault

Both of which might be a step too far for your skills and needs? No offence intended. Besides replacing the battery does not require the service technicians to log into any account on your computer. It's not part of that kind of repair. They can do everything they need to do with tools provided in GSX and Gateway Manager.

However if you want to be absolutely certain then 'clone' your internal drive to an externally attached one, reboot from that and erase the internal drive. That way it goes to the service centre with absolutely nothing on it. Not even a system, yet you have all your data, OS and applications exactly as is and safe in your hands.

When it comes back from service, attach the external drive, 'clone' the external back to the internal and reboot from that. Everything is back as it was before. Furthermore you'll have a complete and identical back-up ready to use at any time if and when anything else should happen.

Small form factor (2.5" SATA) hard drives are cheap enough and you only need one as large (better still larger) than the one you currently have. External USB drive caddies are also ridiculously cheap. You can google these for yourself.

For cloning I use:

https://bombich.com/download

Does not cost much, been using it for years and a 'must have' in my view.

Good luck

Create Guest User Account

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.