Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IMovie 10 not displaying Create Date and Time but Import Date/Time when adding Title

In Imovie 09 when I used the Title for Date/Time it would insert the clips original date and time it was created NOT imported. Now in Imovie 10 that does not work. I want to display the original date and time of video since old mini-dv tapes. I see all sorts of posts but they have to do with changing meta data etc why can't it just work like it use to???

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 9:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 4:58 PM

Hi, Joann,

I did try what you said. I placed the Date/Time title on the clip and it showed the correct creation date of February 14, 2004 at 8:37 p.m.

So, there is something not working right on your system. Have you tried redownloading iMove? Or updating your software?

Or perhaps trying the procedure in a newly created project? Or booting in Safe Mode and immediately rebooting in normal mode? Or opening iMovie in a new user account?

I am unable to replicate the issue you describe, so it is difficult to try to isolate the problem other than to try some diagnostic things.

-- Rich

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2020 4:58 PM in response to JoannLuNJ

Hi, Joann,

I did try what you said. I placed the Date/Time title on the clip and it showed the correct creation date of February 14, 2004 at 8:37 p.m.

So, there is something not working right on your system. Have you tried redownloading iMove? Or updating your software?

Or perhaps trying the procedure in a newly created project? Or booting in Safe Mode and immediately rebooting in normal mode? Or opening iMovie in a new user account?

I am unable to replicate the issue you describe, so it is difficult to try to isolate the problem other than to try some diagnostic things.

-- Rich

Apr 21, 2020 5:29 PM in response to JoannLuNJ

O.K. Let's make sure that we are talking about the same thing.

I just now imported into iMovie a clip that I recorded on 2/24/2004, the creation date. When I put it in the timeline and select it, the correct creation date of 2/24/2004 is displayed above the preview screen. So, as I said, iMovie imports with the creation date, not the date imported.

Are you saying that the above is not happening on your computer? In iMovie 10 the creation date does not appear on the clip itself, but only above the preview screen when one clicks on the "i" button in the tool bar at the upper right of the screen. I am not that familiar with iMovie 9, so don't know how the date displays there.

So, are we on the same page or are we talking about different things.

-- Rich

Apr 20, 2020 9:48 AM in response to JoannLuNJ

Hi,

Here's the answer that I gave to your previous post on this same issue:

"iMovie 10 imports video clips organized by creation date. You do not need to

do anything to have that happen.

In the media browser view you can select the clip and do a Modify/Change

Date and Time if you want a different date. "

Apparently you are still having difficulty. I notice that you said you have used the title to document the date. Sometimes titles won't carry over as they are organizational to the original app or camera and not part of the meta data.

Also, since you are dealing with old mini tapes possibly the clips are one long clip containing several segments taken on different dates. Then there would not be one creation date for the clip.

-- Rich

Apr 21, 2020 4:43 PM in response to JoannLuNJ

iMovie 10 should be working as I described. Since yours does not, try opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library.

Reopen your old library to get back to your projects. Now see if it imports the way you want.

Also, iMovie 9 is a different app than iMovie 10, both in architecture and user interface. Because a feature is designed one way in iMovie 9 and another way in iMovie 10 does not mean that it is not "working" in iMovie 10.

-- Rich

Apr 21, 2020 4:56 PM in response to Rich839

Well that did not work. I have seen other posts where users are complaining about the same thing. I just imported video shot in 2001 and the date on it is today 2020, when I use the Date/Time Title from the preset title selections. Yet when I do the same video on iMovie 9 and import it and then use the Date/Time Title it shows 2001. Is there anything to do? I would rather use iMovie 10 seems like better software but I don't want to have to type to Date/Time for every clip. Thank you.

Apr 26, 2020 5:23 AM in response to Rich839

Rich sorry but none of those fixes worked. What version of IMovie are you working with I am using 10.1.12. I cannot update to 10’.1.14 my Mac says incompatible update. I looked at the clip and it definitely has create date material 2001 but every time I add Date/time title it states date I imported. But thanks for your help. Guess I will have to use older version since I want to get 31 tapes archived.

IMovie 10 not displaying Create Date and Time but Import Date/Time when adding Title

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.