Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How much storage do I need in a partition for a startup external hard drive ?

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 12:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 9:38 AM

Yes, if the drive is large enough to have three partitions, then you could install two different OS versions with a third volume for other storage needs (not backups.) The size of the OS partitions should be determined by how much you want for each OS in terms of non-OS files such as third-party apps and such. Catalina requires more space than El Capitan for the OS. Of course, the computer must be bootable from either OS. If this external drive is a HDD then format using HFS+. If it's an SSD to format the El Capitan partition HFS+ and the Catalina partition with APFS. You can only do that using Catalina.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 9:38 AM in response to foxnew

Yes, if the drive is large enough to have three partitions, then you could install two different OS versions with a third volume for other storage needs (not backups.) The size of the OS partitions should be determined by how much you want for each OS in terms of non-OS files such as third-party apps and such. Catalina requires more space than El Capitan for the OS. Of course, the computer must be bootable from either OS. If this external drive is a HDD then format using HFS+. If it's an SSD to format the El Capitan partition HFS+ and the Catalina partition with APFS. You can only do that using Catalina.

Apr 20, 2020 1:27 PM in response to foxnew

Depends. If you are creating a bootable USB macOS installer, then you need 8GBs except for Catalina which requires 16GBs. If you wish to install a whole system as an alternative startup volume, then you need a minimum of around 30GBs. This will vary depending upon how much RAM is installed and how much third-party software you install. If you want to clone your existing system, then you need at least the capacity of the source volume.

Apr 20, 2020 4:04 PM in response to Kappy

Thanks! But I failed to mention the OSX I would be using this to boot up is on El Capitan 10.11.6

This is so I can boot up Aperture 3.6 if necessary after I migrate to Lightroom and upgrade to Catalina on my iMac.

El Capitan 10.11.6

Processor 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i5

Memory - 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3

iMac ( 27 inch Late 2012

Apr 20, 2020 8:50 PM in response to foxnew

What I posted before applies to El Capitan. Is that the version you want to install on the external drive? Do you have an El Capitan full installer? If so, then you want to make a bootable USB flash drive installer from the El Capitan application. Before you do the installation you will need to create the partition on the external drive. Is the external drive currently empty or do you already have files on it? Do you know how to create the partition? What version of macOS are you currently running?

Apr 20, 2020 10:27 PM in response to Kappy

Right now my iMac is running on El Capitan 10.11.6. When I upgrade to Catalina in a month I will need El Capitan on my new external hard drive so I can use older programs such as Aperture as I migrate to Lightroom. I would also like to have a Catalina startup drive on another partition of that external drive.

I believe I understand how to create a partition. Is it OK to have 2 partitions with 2 different OSX versions on one drive? Can there be other files in that drive on another partition ?

Thanks Kappy !

John

El Capitan 10.11.6

Processor 2.9 Ghz Intel Core i5

Memory - 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3

iMac ( 27 inch Late 2012

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.