Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Apple Time Capsule

I am trying to use my “old” Apple Time Capsule to backup my “old” iMac. I have read the post but I can’t get it to work. I am not sure what is the best way to connect the Time Capsule. Can anyone help me?

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 1:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 4:15 PM

This looks like the same WD Passport drive that I am using at the present time, so it should work fine.

I suggested this drive to allow you to make Time Machine backups to your WD Passport more quickly and more reliably than the Time Capsule.

To set up the drive.......

Connect it to the USB port on your Mac

Click the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Click on Open Time Machine Preferences

Click on Add or Remove Disks

Select the WD Passport drive

Click Use Disk

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 4:15 PM in response to Kimicando

This looks like the same WD Passport drive that I am using at the present time, so it should work fine.

I suggested this drive to allow you to make Time Machine backups to your WD Passport more quickly and more reliably than the Time Capsule.

To set up the drive.......

Connect it to the USB port on your Mac

Click the Time Machine "clock" icon at the top of the Mac's screen

Click on Open Time Machine Preferences

Click on Add or Remove Disks

Select the WD Passport drive

Click Use Disk

Apr 20, 2020 1:30 PM in response to Kimicando

Which "post" are you referring to?

What model is your "old" Time Capsule. (There were 5 different models.)

What operating system is installed on your "old" iMac?

What is the make and model number of your modem? (The Time Capsule must connect to your modem)

Please remember that we can't "see" your network or know what you are thinking, so things that are very obvious to you are totally unknown to us.

Apr 20, 2020 3:06 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I was reviewing a post from you on Jan 11,2012. Oh wow that was a long time ago.

My iMac is From 2009 and it is running OS X El Capitan. Version 10.11.6 I can not upgrade it anymore.. so I know I don't get any type of support. But it is still running fine so I hate to buy a new one. I wish I could upgrade the OS but I am sure that the hardware is just not compatible with the new OS versions.

My Time Capsule is 802.11n Wi-Fi Hard Drive. 500GB. It was probably one of the originals from 2009.

My Modem is from Spectrum Cable and we just got that modem with their service. It only has one port for connecting a wireless router to it. I already have a wireless router from Spectrum Cable connected to the modem.

I only want the Time Capsule to backup from my iMAC using Time Machine.

I use to use my own modem and I used Time Capsule as the wireless router and backup device. I moved to an area with Spectrum Cable and their service is marginal so I did not want to try and introduce all my components.

Sorry that I was not very clear with my questions. Thank you Please feel free to ask me any thing else.

Apr 20, 2020 3:37 PM in response to Kimicando

Thanks for the info, this really helps.

The 1st Generation Time Capsule that you have is at least 11 years old and as much as 12+ depending on when it was placed into service.

Frankly, it is amazing that the Time Capsule will even power up at all, much less operate at this point. It should have failed 6-7 years ago, so you have had incredibly good luck with the product.

Because the product is way overdue to fail, I would not recommend that you try to use the Time Capsule as wireless router.....and I would also not recommend that you try to use it for Time Machine backups if you cannot afford to lose the data on the Time Capsule hard drive, because it too is long overdue to fail.

Not sure how or if you want to proceed with this. It would not hurt to continue to use your current router for wireless and try to use the Time Capsule only as a hard drive for Time Machine backups if you understand that it will not go much longer. I have seen older products like this fail though, when they are reset.....which the Time Capsule will need to be.....before it can be reprogrammed.

Not recommending that you even try this at this point, but it's your call.

Apr 20, 2020 4:15 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Ha Ha... you really made me laugh. I know... I love keeping my old technology working and I am amazed at how long I can keep Apple products working. I guess I am just concerned that some day my "old" iMac is going to die and I just wanted a backup. I don't have any "mission" critical information since I just use my iMac for non-essential business. It is still a great device for everything I do.... so maybe I just backup items to my iCloud account. I have all my photos on iCloud but not many documents. I have a MacBook and I sync all my photos between devices. So my photos are good.. it is just the other documents that I have and I don't back them up anywhere. Any other thoughts....

I love my big old iMac... but I know someday it is going to..... another place. I just want to be prepared. I also love all my Apple products.... they just keep going and going!!!

Apr 20, 2020 4:20 PM in response to Kimicando

If it were me, I would buy an inexpensive USB drive and connect it to the USB port on then iMac and back up that way. You should be able to easily "hide" the small hard drive if appearance is an issue. Something like a WD Passport drive would do well, but there any number of other good choices.

This is the least expensive, fastest and most reliable way to back up.

The Time Capsule will be of no value when....not if....it fails, so if the iMac goes and the Time Capsule backup goes......you aren't left with much.

Let us know how you want to proceed.

Apr 21, 2020 4:05 PM in response to Bob Timmons

Hello again, I hope that you don't mind me bothering you again with my questions. I am now getting a little nervous because my mail app is failing on my iMac so it could be getting close to other issues. I also forgot about my iTunes library. So i am going to get a WD passport. Is this the one I should get?

wd-my-passport-for-mac-usb-3-0-hdd.... It is 2TB but that would be good for when I have to buy another iMac. I have a MacBook but I love the big screen on my iMac so I would get another one if this one fails.

I am also assuming that I would use Time Machine to backup to this WS Passport. Is that correct?

Thanks again... you have been great!

Using Apple Time Capsule

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.