Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Playback for videos gone black when adding a new video to timeline

I'm creating a virtual choir and am on video 98 out of 130. I added a new video to the timeline and it turned everything black in the video playback area. I deleted the video and it's still all black. You can click in the individual videos in the timeline and see where they are as an outline, but everything is still black. The video I added is the same format wise as everything else. Help please- I can't start over :(

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 1:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 20, 2020 7:50 PM

That's a great question, being new to this I wasn't even aware where the backups were until I talked to Apple, which, were a lot less helpful than this forum so thank you all! I had already reset preferences & I have tried multiple backup files (by selecting the 4-19 date under a block of Untitled_202004##_####_MST file. Should I be selecting the Untitled part not the star icon w/ the 4019 below it? Which is the backup?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) 3.6Ghz 8 core i-9 w/ 16gb 2667 DDR4 Radeon Pro vega 48 8GB. Thoughts? Needs more ram? Sure.. but it should be more than sufficient to crank out some video if I wait on it... I do see the spinning wheel in the top rendering... not sure.

BTW rules for this project import proxies and optimize the clips based on the 422 LT for editing.

I do see also that when I switch between "optimized/originals" and the proxy that only SOME of the videos have proxies. When/how does it create proxies if not on import? I double checked a couple videos too and I see the similar marking in the info inspector that only original is green and the optimized/proxy are not available?...

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 20, 2020 7:50 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

That's a great question, being new to this I wasn't even aware where the backups were until I talked to Apple, which, were a lot less helpful than this forum so thank you all! I had already reset preferences & I have tried multiple backup files (by selecting the 4-19 date under a block of Untitled_202004##_####_MST file. Should I be selecting the Untitled part not the star icon w/ the 4019 below it? Which is the backup?

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2019) 3.6Ghz 8 core i-9 w/ 16gb 2667 DDR4 Radeon Pro vega 48 8GB. Thoughts? Needs more ram? Sure.. but it should be more than sufficient to crank out some video if I wait on it... I do see the spinning wheel in the top rendering... not sure.

BTW rules for this project import proxies and optimize the clips based on the 422 LT for editing.

I do see also that when I switch between "optimized/originals" and the proxy that only SOME of the videos have proxies. When/how does it create proxies if not on import? I double checked a couple videos too and I see the similar marking in the info inspector that only original is green and the optimized/proxy are not available?...

Apr 20, 2020 9:32 PM in response to Missy2mca

sorry not solved - I did check the files to verify the rendered proxies and I went ahead and kicked off the transcode proxies and optimized again to get greens on all the files. I finished that now but still have black screen in the preview window. Now that I've done that I have an exclamation mark in the 4-19-20 star folder.... what causes that?

Apr 20, 2020 1:24 PM in response to Missy2mca

Please give the complete specs of the system from About This Mac. Also the other questions about drives.

Try rebooting the system without opening applications.. Reset the preferences by holding Opt-Cmd.

I think there's a significant problem with the library you're using. It looks like you've opened a backup library not the original library that was called Untitled. Why are you in a backup library, and how long have you been working in it?

Apr 20, 2020 11:52 PM in response to Missy2mca

I may have determined what the issues was... even w/ our brand new iMac with awesome video card, it seems that the way abobe premiere was causing the CPU to overheat and shutdown constantly, we're running into a processing capacity issue to parse the video clips and render over 100 (even optimized and proxied) clips on the same preview pane at once. We can let it sit and render but it still won't eventually display... That said we continued adding the remainder of the video clips and did an initial resizing and cropping by moving that video outside the track of all the other 100+ video clips on the timeline. That allowed us to see the video in the preview pane. Then moved it back, and screen blacked. I'm pretty convinced this might be the issue also because then I tried the compact clip option of say 20 clips, and immediately all the video clips appeared in the preview pane. We tried also deleting videos off the timeline down to 99 and the preview pane displayed fine even dubbing and scrolling through the timeline with video and audio seamlessly.

The issue seems to be that, either with our processor core usage, or the video card usage 8GB RAM along with our 16GB RAM that the processing at that point became too much. Has anyone else experience this? This project does seem to be a bit more large scale video editing than any normal person might do... I think our path forward is to sync the audio and then compact clip multiple videos to position. We want to show all 130 clips at once, then fade to individual clips of some 20-40 clips at a time, then end again with all 130.

Any additional tips are appreciated. We read about audio sync, we can try to do that as we had everyone start with an initial BEEP in the video to sync. Not sure how that works yet.

Apr 21, 2020 1:29 AM in response to Missy2mca

Well, if the issue is that the graphics card or VRAM is not coping with that many videos at the same time, it appears that you have figured out the solution - divide and conquer.

You may, for instance do the left 65 videos on one project, export with transparency, do the right 65 videos in another project, export with transparency, then combine the two.

Apr 21, 2020 5:26 AM in response to betaneptune

Luis is Ponting you in the right direction, but you really need to fix your library problem. You have four backup libraries open and what looks like the original library still called Untitled. Decide which library you're going to work in. Give it. useful name and close the other libraries or you'll find the application making backups of backups, and something is bound to get messed up. The exclamation mark on the even means there is something wrong in the content. It can be something really minor an unimportant, but sometimes it means media is missing.

"BTW rules for this project import proxies and optimize the clips based on the 422 LT for editing. "

Not sure what this means. You don't need both optimized and proxies in most cases. For this project and it's multiple layers of media that all have to play back and process in realtime you definitely should work with proxy files. Proxies aren't 422LT, they're 422Proxy, quarter resolution files.

Playback for videos gone black when adding a new video to timeline

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.