Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Catalina Installer won't open

I've been trying to upgrade my Macbook Air (2017) from Mojave to Catalina but every time I download the install file (from the App Store), and it finishes downloading, the installer app refuses to open (it pops up in the dock before quitting itself).

I've tried to do the following:

1) I've deleted the "Install Catalina" app in the applications folder, restarted the computer, and re-downloaded the update but to no avail.

2) Tried to open the app constantly. It continues to quit on itself so I can't actually get into the installation application.

3) Restarted my computer over and over again.

I've checked the actual file and it's 8.23 GB, which means it downloaded fully.

Has anyone else encountered this before? Any solutions? It's getting a little irritating. I'd be grateful for any advice as I've checked the discussions on here and it doesn't seem like a very common problem.

MacBook Air

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 12:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 4:46 AM

zahra4381 wrote:

I've been trying to upgrade my Macbook Air (2017) from Mojave to Catalina but every time I download the install file (from the App Store), and it finishes downloading, the installer app refuses to open (it pops up in the dock before quitting itself).

1) I've deleted the "Install Catalina" app in the applications folder, restarted the computer, and re-downloaded the update but to no avail.

2) Tried to open the app constantly. It continues to quit on itself so I can't actually get into the installation application.

Has anyone else encountered this before? Any solutions? It's getting a little irritating. I'd be grateful for any advice as I've checked the discussions on here and it doesn't seem like a very common problem.

In this case boot to SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and launch your installer.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 21, 2020 4:46 AM in response to zahra4381

zahra4381 wrote:

In this case boot to SafeBoot https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201262

Takes noticeable longer to get to the login screen, does a 5-15 minute disk repair before it fully boots up, and certain system caches get cleared and rebuilt, including dynamic loader cache, etc. Login and launch your installer.

Catalina Installer won't open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.