Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions/Ownership ignored on home-folder on external drive

Hi,

I have installed latest version of Catalina on an external SSD. After installation I verified and everything works ok. I have separate user-accounts for admin and some standard-users. Now I moved some home-folders of standard-users to another partition (by copying homefolder and changing homefolder-settings in system-preferences/users and groups/advanced settings).

This seems to work ok, until I noticed that user A has read and write-acces to all stuff in user B's homefolder and visa versa?! Even after setting the permissions manually, the ownership seems to be for the user that is logged on. In terminal the currently-logged-on-user is shown as as owner of files from another users homefolder.

Is there a way to set permission on homefolders on a drive separate from OS-bootdrive, to make them as secure as if they were on the system-drive?

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 4:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 6:36 AM

I found the answer :-)

In the info-window of the external-disk there is a checkbox "Ignore ownership on this drive" .

I unchecked it, and now users are really separated.

Similar questions

1 reply

Permissions/Ownership ignored on home-folder on external drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.