Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Permissions altered after upgrade to High Sierra

I upgraded my 2013 MacBook Pro to High Sierra from El Capitan. Since then, I have to enter the main password to trash files from the main hard drive, moving files from the hard drive or desktop to folders copies them instead of moving them, and I no longer have permissions I once did. In GetInfo for the drive, even though I am admin on the computer, I am no longer listed in the Sharing and Permissions section. When I try , I am told I simply do not have permissions to add myself, even though I am admin.

On my other MacBooks, I am listed as "username (me)," but that no longer exists, just "system" (read & write), "wheel" (read-only) and "everyone" (read-only). I need for it do do what it did before.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jul 26, 2020 11:22 PM

Similar questions

8 replies

Jul 28, 2020 11:14 AM in response to Lexiepex

I don't find an Accessibility option in Security & Privacy. There is an Accessibility option under the Privacy tab under Security & Privacy, but it simply allows or disallows certain apps to control the computer (like Dropbox), and it does not dal with this kind of issue. This issue is now keeping me from editing an existing document. Thanks for your help. I'm still stuck, and stumped.

Jul 28, 2020 12:24 PM in response to BDAqua

These are in folders on my hard drive. Thats how I organize my work flow.

I duped the doc in question ("doc copy"), dropped it in my home folder, and I was able to modify and save it. I then duped the new version ("doc copy copy"), took it back out to the folder the original doc was in, and I could modify and save the new version into a yet another version.

It is going to be complete PIA to do that to literally every doc on the drive, in order to not have to modify my workflow. Still, I appreciate the tip, thank you.

Is there any way to simply turn off the restriction?

Jul 28, 2020 1:20 PM in response to BDAqua

I am finding that if I move a folder to the Home Folder, it copies instead of moving. If I rename the old one "old" and the new one "new", thenI move the new one back to the original location, my user name is listed in GetInfo again, with "me" in parentheses, unlike before when only "system", "staff" and "everyone" are listed. I am going to research more as to why this was changed, and what can be done about it. It is really hampering my work flow. I am the only user on my computer, on several in my home/office.

Thanks so much for your help. I'll update here in case it is of any help to anyone.

Permissions altered after upgrade to High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.