Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Username isn't on Sharing and Permissions list for files

I was attempting to change the volume indicator sound (volume.aiff) in the Resources folder, but I didn't have permission because it's read only. So I went to 'Get Info' and scrolled to 'Sharing and Permission' but my username wasn't listed. I unlocked the file via the padlock, hit the + to add myself and my Mac tells me I don't have permission to do that either.

Upon further exploration I don't even have full permission access to my hard drive and I can't add myself there either.

Anyone know how to fix this? I did reset NVRAM and tried creating a new user account as well.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 4, 2022 8:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 4, 2022 1:12 PM

Beginning with macOS 10.15, you are no longer permitted to write to any system area of macOS since new macOS security measures prevent it. See these two Apple articles for more information:

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support (CA)

Signed system volume security in iOS, iPadOS, and macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 4, 2022 1:12 PM in response to Oktishark

Beginning with macOS 10.15, you are no longer permitted to write to any system area of macOS since new macOS security measures prevent it. See these two Apple articles for more information:

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support (CA)

Signed system volume security in iOS, iPadOS, and macOS - Apple Support

Username isn't on Sharing and Permissions list for files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.