Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sharing & Permissions - My User Name Does Not Appear

Hi.

On my Mac HD my user name does not appear in the list (just system, wheel, everyone).

When I try to add myself I get a message 'The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission'.

My user account has the admin permission, but if I can't add the user how can I get the permission I require to make the changes?

The result is every time I try to delete a file I get asked to enter my password.

I've tried the sudo command fix, but this doesn't work.

Help appreciated!

iMac 27″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 5:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2021 7:48 AM

JonMurphy666 wrote:

Hi.

On my Mac HD my user name does not appear in the list (just system, wheel, everyone).

When I try to add myself I get a message 'The operation can't be completed because you don't have the necessary permission'.

My user account has the admin permission, but if I can't add the user how can I get the permission I require to make the changes?

The result is every time I try to delete a file I get asked to enter my password.

Se if there is anything here:

deleting files requires password

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6873363

Delete files and folders on Mac - Apple Support

?

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2021 7:48 AM in response to JonMurphy666

JonMurphy666 wrote:

Hi.

Se if there is anything here:

deleting files requires password

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6873363

Delete files and folders on Mac - Apple Support

?

Sep 26, 2021 8:22 AM in response to JonMurphy666

You mean here?

That is ABSOLUTELY NORMAL, and you should not try to change that.

These are the permissions for the drive, and not for your home folder, or files and folders therein.

It is perfectly normal for some files that you need to authenticate before deleting.

Now, if this is happening for files that are, for example, on your desktop or another of your own folders, that would be different.

You need to tell us exactly where those files you are deleting are.

Sharing & Permissions - My User Name Does Not Appear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.