Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine and MacBook Mojave OS 10.14.6?

How do I eject or turn off Time Machine, if that is necessary before disconnecting it from my MacBook?

MacBook Pro 13", macOS 10.14

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 7:57 PM

marilynfromaiken wrote:

In doing a Search for it, Time Machine Backup is the only selection that has the Eject command available.

Right!

1. You don't eject an app.
  2. You don't eject Time Machine.
  3. You don't eject an alias.
  4. You do eject external disks.
14 replies

Apr 21, 2020 5:12 PM in response to John Galt

"Eject" is not available to me. And, when I select the Time Machine app alias intending to go to File then Eject that doesn't give me the choice because the Time Machine file windows, stacked one behind the other, appear and all other desktop items disappear.

I had this Time Machine drive with my older MacBook Pro and had no trouble like I do now.

Apr 21, 2020 6:31 PM in response to marilynfromaiken

I surmise the backup disk not shown as mounted on your Desktop, and you're attempting to use "eject" on its alias. That won't work.

Select the backup disk icon in a Finder Sidebar, or use Finder's Preferences and select external disks on the Desktop. Then, you can select it and use File > Eject, or drag the Time Machine hard disk icon to the Trash (whose icon will change accordingly).

That's the way to do it.

Apr 24, 2020 7:59 PM in response to John Galt

If I select the main icon for the Time Machine drive, which is on the right side of my desktop, just under the HD icon, the "eject' was selectable / available. Does that remove the app from my computer? And then when I plug it in again, Time Machine mounts again - and continues from where it left off backing up files?

If this is the answer that has been alluding my non-technical brain, then I thank you for your patience and your assistance.

Apr 24, 2020 8:26 PM in response to marilynfromaiken

😂

It helps to have knowledge of antiquated systems that used floppy disks that had to be "ejected" from the drives that held them, using a menu selection (or a manual "eject" pushbutton on some PCs). The floppy disk would then pop out of the drive so you could toss it in a drawer. Otherwise you couldn't remove them, which was a good thing because doing that could result in data corruption.

Even though the file structure used by Time Machine makes that kind of data corruption unlikely, it's considered good practice to "eject" the drive before disconnecting it. That ensures it's not being used before you remove it.

Unlike those early floppy discs, an external hard drive doesn't actually go anywhere by ejecting it. So, it's more technically accurate to use the word "unmount", but the old "eject" terminology stuck.

If I select the main icon for the Time Machine drive, which is on the right side of my desktop, just under the HD icon, the "eject' was selectable / available. Does that remove the app from my computer?

Nope. That's not even possible.

And then when I plug it in again, Time Machine mounts again - and continues from where it left off backing up files?

Exactly.

Time Machine and MacBook Mojave OS 10.14.6?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.