Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you turn off time machine in Monterey

There doesn't seem to be a switch to turn off Time Machine in system preferences. I backed-up but I want to remove the drive now, and it locks up so I have to force eject. Hard to believe you can't just turn it off like you could for other MacOS iterations.

I must not be looking in the right place.

Thanks in advance for any answers.

Posted on Nov 30, 2021 10:45 PM

8 replies

Dec 1, 2021 1:29 AM in response to Barry Fisher

I turned off TM and my CPU would constantly max out 4 of 8 bars in Activity Monitor. Spawned dozens of md_worker processes, indexing that would never finish. It was very frustrating and time consuming troubleshooting this behavior. Oddly enough I finally discovered that re-enabling auto TM (and clearing the Spotlight privacy pane) returned CPU usage to normal, CPU now 90% idle (running Firefox, Music, Logic, Arturia Analog lab, a few others). Counter-intuitive, but that's what happened. M1 iMac with Monterey.

Dec 1, 2021 6:24 AM in response to Barry Fisher

I have the same issue with a new M1 Max MacBook Pro. Once an external hard drive is connected to Time Machine it cannot be ejected w/o a force or a reboot. I have tried waiting, unchecking auto backup, and googling (how I ended up here).

It is ridiculous that you cannot eject even after the drive has gone to sleep and spun down from inactivity. In any case... it doesn't seem to hurt anything to plug the cable out and dismiss the warning box at that point because it looks like it's just spotlightd being grabby (according to instate and Activity Monitor) but it would be nice to be able to untether my laptop from my dock safely at MY OWN initiation.

Anyone have a work-around? I have not tried killing spotlightd yet.

How do you turn off time machine in Monterey

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.