Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad stopped sms messaging

After one of the most recent OS upgrades on my iPad I have not been able to send SMS messaging, only iMessage, while my phone can still do both.

iPad Pro 12.9-inch, 3rd Gen, Wi-Fi, Cell

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 4:36 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 4:38 PM

iPads have never been able to send SMS by themselves.

You need to have a properly set up iPhone under the same Apple ID.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204681

3 replies

May 1, 2020 6:04 AM in response to Johnathan Burger

Jonathon, thank you very much for your reply. I was aware of that the phone is the primary link for calls and messaging. However, I went back through my phone just to do some additional troubleshooting and discovered that I had an obscure error message that my phone was out of sync with iCloud. I never saw that before until I dug deeper, but when I resynced with iCloud the messaging on the iPad started working again. Now if I could just find out why I can’t upgrade my Reminders on my phone so they work with the iPad. Anyway, thanks again for your help!

May 1, 2020 6:37 AM in response to Cap'n Grog

Are both your iPad and iPhone running iOS/iPadOS 13.x, or is one of them running iOS 12.x or earlier?

Having updated to iOS/iPadOS 13 on one of your devices, the “first run” of the Reminders App (subsequent to the OS update) offers an opportunity to update Reminders in iCloud - together with a warning that many users either miss or just click-though.

The warning states that if Reminders in iCloud are updated (so as to benefit from new features), then Reminders in iCloud cease to be compatible with Devices running earlier versions of iOS.

The Reminders update is a one-way trapdoor; if all your devices are running iOS/iPadOS 13.x, then all is well, otherwise, you may have a problem.

iPad stopped sms messaging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.