Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

App store cannot be opened

"App Store cannot be opened because of a problem." Check with the developer to make sure App Store works with this version of macOS. !! I have Catalina for months now and used App Store several times.

How do you update the App Store app ?

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 21, 2020 4:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 10:56 AM

The only app I recently installed is CleanMyMac.
It makes me suspicious. Is this trustworthy ?

No. Do not use it. Uninstall it in strict accordance with its instructions immediately.

Ill-conceived non-Apple "cleaning" products are scams that generally require erasing the affected Mac and rebuilding it from the ground up.

Is MacOS known to generate a message ".. plugin will damage your computer.. REPORT MALWARE to Apple.." or which software does ?

Yes.

If that message continues to appear you will need more assistance. Fraudulent "Adobe Flash" installers are a common vector for malware intrusion: Beware bogus Adobe Flash "installers" - Apple Community.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2020 10:56 AM in response to Tessarboy

No. Do not use it. Uninstall it in strict accordance with its instructions immediately.

Ill-conceived non-Apple "cleaning" products are scams that generally require erasing the affected Mac and rebuilding it from the ground up.

Is MacOS known to generate a message ".. plugin will damage your computer.. REPORT MALWARE to Apple.." or which software does ?

Yes.

If that message continues to appear you will need more assistance. Fraudulent "Adobe Flash" installers are a common vector for malware intrusion: Beware bogus Adobe Flash "installers" - Apple Community.

Apr 24, 2020 4:33 AM in response to Tessarboy

Thank You. The problem disappeared.

"resolved" would be the wrong wording...

Clean & healthy iMac for 5 years and now suddenly a big scare.

The diagnostics showed that an -old never used- 32bit Adobe Premiere software interfered with the App Store app.

Then this malware report showed up.

I binned the plugin and the Adobe software.

Any thrusted anti-virus software for MacOs ?

Apr 24, 2020 10:28 AM in response to John Galt

Thank You. this reassures me in general.

But the automatic error report to Apple clearly indicated that a dormant 32bit Adobe software that I never opened nor touched, suddenly screwed up the important Apple Store app. I do not understand how an executable that was not invoked, suddenly messes with an other app.

App store cannot be opened

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.