Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos in Import Folder

Whenever importing a Photo from iPhone or iPad into Mac Photos App I have in the Photos Folder on the Mac two Photos (edited and unedited) But in the last Import Folder there is only one Photo.

So right now I have many double pictures in Photos Folder. Is this a bug or a feature? All software is up to date!

iMac 21.5" 4K, macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 3:06 AM

5 replies

Apr 22, 2020 10:13 AM in response to Zappol

Not sure what you mean by "double pictures", but when you edit a photo on an iPhone/iPad, it is possible that the editing program is not changing or over-writing the original photo, but saving it on the iOS device as a new, separate photo. (For example, I do some editing with Snapseed, and it gives the option to save the changes to the original photo in my iPhone's Photo Library or save it as a separate photo.) If you have the app's settings to save as separate photos, then when you import, they would be imported as two separate photos and appear that way in the Photos folder.

Apr 23, 2020 10:17 AM in response to Yer_Man

I mean the Photos Folder in the Library (Photos, Memories, Favorites, People etc.) The imported photos from iPhone and iPad are double in this folder (one original and one edited) The edited photo was edited in the original Photo App on the iPad, and on iPad there is only one Photo visible but on the mac there are two Photos imported.

Apr 23, 2020 11:29 AM in response to Zappol

The edited photo was edited in the original Photo App on the iPad, and on iPad there is only one Photo visible but on the mac there are two Photos imported.

What is the system version on the iPhone and iPad? Does the filename of the edited version contain an additional "E" compared to the original?

I got these additional edited versions, when I imported photos from a device with an older version of iOS. The filters on iOs 9 and 10 are very different from the current photo filters and cannot be reproduced by Photos Catalina. Then the filter effects need to be transferred as a separate image file.

Photos in Import Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.