Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

copying photos to SD card

Trying to copy 5000 + photos to SD Card Sandisk, process takes for ever and stops before copying all photos and when trying to playback through my TV it stops frequently and i have to go back to the beginning and skip over all that i have just seen to continue watching, and how can I determine the size of individual photos and the sum of the total, in other words can I get an old fashioned directory list with size of individual photo/file

iMac 27", macOS 10.15

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 11:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 9:52 AM

Dragging the thumbnail to the Desktop or wherever only gets you the preview version of it and it won't be the full resolution version.

Exporting only copies the photos, it doesn't move them out of the library.

the same SD card previously had 500+ photos on it and it worked OK, so I will probably ditch that idea and just use the TV via the USB connection, don't know what your thoughts are about all of that?

Since the FAT 16 has a limit of 512 files in the root directory you probably only had that many on the card.

Here's what I did to get as many photos on my digital frame:

1 - determine the pixel dimensions of the frame's screen.

2 - crop the photos to the same aspect ratio as the frame.

3 - export with Custom size and limit the dimension of the image to the maximum dissensions of the frame and a JPEG Quality Level of Medium.

4 - add the photos to a folder and put the folder on the card.

This will allow you go put as many image files on the card as the card's capacity will allow size wise.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2020 9:52 AM in response to 961952

Dragging the thumbnail to the Desktop or wherever only gets you the preview version of it and it won't be the full resolution version.

Exporting only copies the photos, it doesn't move them out of the library.

the same SD card previously had 500+ photos on it and it worked OK, so I will probably ditch that idea and just use the TV via the USB connection, don't know what your thoughts are about all of that?

Since the FAT 16 has a limit of 512 files in the root directory you probably only had that many on the card.

Here's what I did to get as many photos on my digital frame:

1 - determine the pixel dimensions of the frame's screen.

2 - crop the photos to the same aspect ratio as the frame.

3 - export with Custom size and limit the dimension of the image to the maximum dissensions of the frame and a JPEG Quality Level of Medium.

4 - add the photos to a folder and put the folder on the card.

This will allow you go put as many image files on the card as the card's capacity will allow size wise.

Apr 22, 2020 11:35 AM in response to 961952

Are you trying to copy the image files directly from Photos to the root directory of the SD card? Cards that are formatted FAT 16 can hold only 512 items in the root directory. So export the photos to a folder on the Desktop first and add that folder to the card.

If the total size of the photos are larger than the card can hold you can export at a reduced JPEG Quality level, either Medium or Low. High is about the same as the original JPG and Maximum is larger somehow. This reduces the file size but not the image size.

Reduced file size will speed up display on the TV if the originals are large

Apr 23, 2020 5:47 AM in response to Old Toad

Thanks for your reply Old Toad.

I have merely dragged and dropped the photos to an SD card which previously had photos on it which were previously moved this way, see info on 16 GB SD Card attached.

Are you saying I should use the Export Function on Apple Photos?, this doesn't remove the photos from my iMac does it?

I have 5600 photos going back as far as 18 years, some of the images are very small and can't really see them on the 48" TV, so if i could see the photos in a directory list (like good old windows) I could delete the small ones from the list, also I could also see the size of the sum of the photos and better judge whether they will fit on the 16GB SD Card

I don't see the purpose of exporting them twice as it took an age exporting them directly to the SD card and it packed up after about 3,200 photos ?

I have one of those Kodak photo frames which is what I wanted to use ideally, you don't seem to be able to buy them any more but now if I try this SD Card with 3,200 it doesn't load the photos, the same SD card previously had 500+ photos on it and it worked OK, so I will probably ditch that idea and just use the TV via the USB connection, don't know what your thoughts are about all of that?

Thanks for your help so far, and would be grateful for any help with your expertise to sort this problem for me.

Regards

Rob

copying photos to SD card

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.