Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iPad Magic Keyboard Trackpad scrolling laggy

iPad Pro 2020, 12.9" v13.4.1

It happens when scrolling web or web-based apps, especially when these's a scroll view inside the view.

e.g. github code page. Or bear app code snippets.

I just unplugged and plugged it to the New Magic Keyboard, the laggy gone.

Pretty much a bug, lack of compatibility to new devices.

Thank you!

iPad Pro 12.9-inch Wi-Fi

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 4:43 PM

Hello,

Have you tried restarting your iPad?

Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Support

7 replies

May 20, 2020 4:05 PM in response to GeekCK

This is definitely an issue, and no, it has not been solved by any update. I’ve been using a brand new iPad Pro 12.9 4th Gen (2020) received two days ago, along with an equally brand new Magic Keyboard for iPad (2020) that arrived a day ago.

Description of the problem:

• When the iPad is lifted off the Magic Keyboard,
  • turned off (this may not be an essential factor)
  • then placed back on the Magic Keyboard and turned on again, the trackpad stops scrolling smoothly, usually in one direction. The laggy direction can change (for example, when scrolling in a pdf, it may be horribly laggy scrolling down; in a Word document, it may lag scrolling upward).

The solution:

• lifting the iPad off the Magic Keyboard, and replacing it, usually sorts things out.

I strongly suspect the problem lies with the contact surfaces between the iPad (which are 3 flat circular metal pieces at the bottom of the back of the iPad) and those of the Magic Keyboard (which are 3 tiny spring-loaded metal points in the corresponding area). I suspect that, if the contacts are not sitting just so, the scroll function of the trackpad is affected.

When I lifted the iPad off, I rubbed the metal contacts on both the Magic Keyboard and the iPad (to make sure there was no microscopic debris), and carefully popped the iPad back on. And it resumed functioning beautifully.

May 18, 2020 7:07 AM in response to GeekCK

I’ve just noticed this behaviour too: after a while, the trackpad two-finger scrolling will become laggy and actually not scroll in one direction. I’ve noticed this happen in Safari and in Microsoft Teams window (it may also happen in others, but those are the ones I’ve tested).

Removing the keyboard from the keyboard and replacing fixes the issue - so weird!

May 28, 2020 6:03 PM in response to encephalisation

I’ve had a bit more experience with this issue. They’ve been several instances where I’ve had to reboot the iPad in order to get the keyboard working again.

This has something to do specifically with the trackpad on the new Magic Keyboard for iPad, and how it interacts with the iPad. It is purely the trackpad that stops working, when the issue arises. The rest of the keyboard can continue working completely normally.

Also, Ive now had several instances where the scrolling is not laggy, but completely non-existant. There will be no cursor, when you try to use the trackpad. It’s as if the trackpad wasn’t there. Lifting the iPad off and replacing it did not sort the issue. I had to lift it off, shut down, restart, then replace it on the MK. Only then did it go back to normal.

I don’t know what this is, but I’m pretty cheesed off about it. I expect better from a £350 keyboard.

New iPad Magic Keyboard Trackpad scrolling laggy

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.