Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone as an external camera?

Is it possible to hook up and use my iPhone 6s (iOS 13.4.1) as a direct external camera feed into my iMovie app, resident on my MacBook Pro?

iPhone 6s

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 6:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 1:04 PM

Yes, this is a little tricky. I finally got the sound working after a few tries. You might have to fiddle with it a bit if you want to use the iPhone's mic rather than the built-in internal mic.

The sound recorded fine when I selected Internal Microphone for the recording. But it wouldn't work when I selected the iPhone as the input device. So, I plugged in the iPhone to my Mac and went to Applications/Utilities/Audio-Midi Set up and enabled my iPhone as an imput device in the sidebar. The Photos app opened, but if that happens just park it on the dock -- don't close it or it somehow reverts the setting you just made. Then I closed out of Audio-Midi Setup and opened System/Preferences/Sound/Input and saw that my iPhone was now shown as an additional input device. I selected the iPhone device by clicking on it. It turns blue. I made sure that there was no muting in the sound controls. Then I closed out of System Preferences and opened QuickTimePlayer/File/New Movie recording. In the drop down controls next to the big red dot I selected my iPhone device as the audio input device. I adjusted the sound slider to full volume. Then I recorded a short video with my iPhone, using the iPhone as my mic, and saved the video to desktop. When I played back the video, it had sound. Make sure that you don't have an ear bud plugged in to your earphone outlet, or you won't be able to hear the sound.

As for the video displaying some controls at the bottom of the recorded screen, I wasn't able to find a way to prevent that from showing up in the recording. A workaround might be to open the saved recorded video on your Mac and use QuickTime's Screen Recording feature to press-drag a rectangular selection around the screen as it is playing back to eliminate the controls on the bottom. However, that can leave you with crappy sound. So instead I would suggest importing your recording into iMove and crop out the unwanted controls display by using the crop feature while the video is still in the media brower (versus a project timeline). Go to the iMovie Help menu and type in Crop a Clip and you will get more detailed info on how to use the crop feature to crop in the media browser.

Let me know how everything worked out (or not worked out).

-- Rich

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 23, 2020 1:04 PM in response to craigstrobel

Yes, this is a little tricky. I finally got the sound working after a few tries. You might have to fiddle with it a bit if you want to use the iPhone's mic rather than the built-in internal mic.

The sound recorded fine when I selected Internal Microphone for the recording. But it wouldn't work when I selected the iPhone as the input device. So, I plugged in the iPhone to my Mac and went to Applications/Utilities/Audio-Midi Set up and enabled my iPhone as an imput device in the sidebar. The Photos app opened, but if that happens just park it on the dock -- don't close it or it somehow reverts the setting you just made. Then I closed out of Audio-Midi Setup and opened System/Preferences/Sound/Input and saw that my iPhone was now shown as an additional input device. I selected the iPhone device by clicking on it. It turns blue. I made sure that there was no muting in the sound controls. Then I closed out of System Preferences and opened QuickTimePlayer/File/New Movie recording. In the drop down controls next to the big red dot I selected my iPhone device as the audio input device. I adjusted the sound slider to full volume. Then I recorded a short video with my iPhone, using the iPhone as my mic, and saved the video to desktop. When I played back the video, it had sound. Make sure that you don't have an ear bud plugged in to your earphone outlet, or you won't be able to hear the sound.

As for the video displaying some controls at the bottom of the recorded screen, I wasn't able to find a way to prevent that from showing up in the recording. A workaround might be to open the saved recorded video on your Mac and use QuickTime's Screen Recording feature to press-drag a rectangular selection around the screen as it is playing back to eliminate the controls on the bottom. However, that can leave you with crappy sound. So instead I would suggest importing your recording into iMove and crop out the unwanted controls display by using the crop feature while the video is still in the media brower (versus a project timeline). Go to the iMovie Help menu and type in Crop a Clip and you will get more detailed info on how to use the crop feature to crop in the media browser.

Let me know how everything worked out (or not worked out).

-- Rich

Apr 23, 2020 10:31 AM in response to Rich839

This was helpful in that it directed me to using Quicktime. However two problems arose:

1. When the iPhone is used as a camera. Quicktime captures the whole screen, including buttons, commands, etc. How can I use just the camera image? I cannot find any means to select just the4 camera image.
  2. The audio doesn't playback. I have checked all the input devices, and each device indicates that sound is being detected while I'm recording (the bar graph indicates such), yet there is no audio when I play it back.

Further help needed.

Thanks

iPhone as an external camera?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.