Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Update Trouble

I recently updated to iOS 13.4.1 and immediately after I’ve been having issues with my phone freezing. Apps won’t launch and when it freezes I can’t even turn it on/off or restart it. It’s like if the blue screen of death happened but instead of a PC it’s on my phone. I can swipe through my home screen sometimes but the apps won’t launch it again it’ll just freeze completely

iPhone 11 Pro Max

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 3:24 PM

Follow the instructions in this article by Apple ➔ If your iPhone is Non-Responsive or Frozen and see if that helps. This will require connecting to your computer .

Axel F.

7 replies

Apr 24, 2020 9:57 AM in response to Yourbigredman

I’ve also had problems after the update. Normally I update with no troubles, but after 13.4.1 I too have frozen screens, black screens with lines, apps not responding, failure to open apps and various other issues. With respect to Mr. Foley’s suggestion to restart the device I think it’s the first and only thing that can be done. The screen is frozen what else can we do.

But how many times must I continue to do this? I now either restart or need to do a forced restart on my iPad Pro at least three or four times a day. I use my tables almost all day. The only part I can say with confidence is the graphics seem to have rendering issues. So, when drawing a line the lag time is now very obvious. I use an Apple Pencil and have never had troubles like this.

Apr 24, 2020 10:01 AM in response to Axel Foley

That’s the thing though, The first thing I try to do when it freezes is to restart it. But because the whole phone freezes up none of the bottoms respond. I can’t adjust volume, change the silenced mode or turn the phone on or off. The whole phone just locks up however it was and then after about a minute it blacks out and restarts itself

Apr 30, 2020 4:26 PM in response to Yourbigredman

So here is what I finally figured out. I hope this helps. My iPad began having trouble after the 13.4.1 update.

The update itself is fine, however app updates from the App Store were not fine. After days of my iPad locking up, black screens with lines through it, iPad so frozen I could not initiate a hard boot... all of these troubles were the result of app(s) updates not downloading completely.

I deleted every app that was having trouble and rebooted a final time. I have not had trouble since. I don’t know why apps are updated automatically now. At least I am not able to find the previously available option to update apps manually anywhere in the App Store.

All told I had at least 8 apps that were attempting (repeatedly I have no doubt) to update. So, go look for any app with the down arrow next to it and either down load or delete. You can always re-download it provided it’s still available.

Then reboot. Good Luck

Update Trouble

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.