Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Are you sure you want to remove ---- from iCloud drive?" pop up when not deleting folders

I was planning on moving some folders into another in the Application support in Library on my Mac when the pop up "Are you sure you want to remove ---- from iCloud drive?" came up on my screen. This is really confusing as I wasn't deleting anything, just moving one folder from desktop into another folder in Application Support. I don't want the pop up to go away, I just want to figure out why its telling me that and how to remedy it, as it seems to be messing with my folders and making them undetectable to certain apps, (as in the folder opens and the folder I inserted is there, but the app does not register anything there).

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 8:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2020 7:10 AM

Hello Chromebeetle.

Thanks for the clarification. In your example, Folder A is synced with iCloud and Folder B is not. When you move the file from Folder A to Folder B you are seeing the alert because removing the file from the synced folder will delete the file from iCloud. If you don't want the file synced to iCloud you can dismiss the alert.

Have a great day.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2020 7:10 AM in response to Chromebeetle

Hello Chromebeetle.

Thanks for the clarification. In your example, Folder A is synced with iCloud and Folder B is not. When you move the file from Folder A to Folder B you are seeing the alert because removing the file from the synced folder will delete the file from iCloud. If you don't want the file synced to iCloud you can dismiss the alert.

Have a great day.

Apr 24, 2020 9:10 AM in response to Chromebeetle

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, Chromebeetle.

If I understand your post correctly, when you try to move a folder from one application to another you see a warning that this will remove the folder from iCloud Drive. I’d like to help.

Some applications automatically save files to iCloud Drive. If you are moving the folders to a different application you may need to manually save a copy to iCloud Drive by placing it on your desktop.

This article will tell you more:

Access iCloud Drive files from your iPhone and other devices

Let us know if that resolves this issue for you. 

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Take care.

Apr 29, 2020 3:52 PM in response to Chromebeetle

Hello Chromebeetle.

It sounds like it's because it was on your Desktop that you're seeing this alert then. Check out the information about Desktop and Documents in iCloud Drive here:

Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive

Moving it will remove it from iCloud because your Desktop is currently synced with iCloud. If you want to keep a copy of it in iCloud Drive, try copying the file instead of moving it.

Cheers.

Apr 30, 2020 10:08 AM in response to amandal80

Thanks for the reply! But I don't really care about having the file saved to iCloud or anything, I just want to make sure the folder actually appears in the file I want it to when I move it in. I guess a better explanation is I want to know why I receive a pop-up that I'm deleting something when I'm not. My problem is:

I'm trying to move Folder A from desktop into Folder B, which is in the Library. I'm doing this because in the application I'm using, Folder B is where my downloaded content goes into. However, when I open the application that lets me see into Folder B, Folder A appears physically there, but does not appear in the application. This does not seem to be the application's problem, as this happens with all my other folders in my Library. I've watched videos demonstrating this exact process online, and the only difference from their process and mine, is that pop-up. So basically, I just want to know why that pop-up might occur when I'm not deleting a file, especially in this scenario, if it makes sense.

Thanks!

"Are you sure you want to remove ---- from iCloud drive?" pop up when not deleting folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.