Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Custom Ringtone

I am trying to add a custom ringtone to my iPhone 11. I used iTunes to convert from MP3 to ACC, then changed it to m4r. I’ve tried to drag and drop (and copy/paste) into the Tones section in iTunes under my phone. However, it will not allow me and gives a pop up box saying unable to transfer some files due to iCloud Music in use. I cannot figure out how to turn off iCloud Music. How can I get this m4r to work? I’ve also tried opening the different file types in GarageBand, but those files are always greyed out and won’t open. Thanks for your help.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 13

Posted on Apr 22, 2020 9:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 9:27 AM

Hello tamahawk1,

If I'm understanding you right, you're unable to sync custom ringtones to your iPhone due to iCloud Music being enabled. I'm happy to help you out with this so you can start enjoying the ringtones you created.

In order to manually sync these types of files to your iPhone Sync Library would have to be turned off first. You can turn it off in Settings > Music. Turn it back on after you've successfully synced your ringtones in iTunes. It's important to note that anytime you turn off and back on Sync Library you will have to redownload any music you previously downloaded for offline listening.

Another way to sync your tones would be through iCloud Drive and GarageBand. It would not require you to turn off Sync Library when done this way. View the steps here: Create a ringtone of your Logic Pro X or GarageBand for Mac song.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2020 9:27 AM in response to tamahawk1

Hello tamahawk1,

If I'm understanding you right, you're unable to sync custom ringtones to your iPhone due to iCloud Music being enabled. I'm happy to help you out with this so you can start enjoying the ringtones you created.

In order to manually sync these types of files to your iPhone Sync Library would have to be turned off first. You can turn it off in Settings > Music. Turn it back on after you've successfully synced your ringtones in iTunes. It's important to note that anytime you turn off and back on Sync Library you will have to redownload any music you previously downloaded for offline listening.

Another way to sync your tones would be through iCloud Drive and GarageBand. It would not require you to turn off Sync Library when done this way. View the steps here: Create a ringtone of your Logic Pro X or GarageBand for Mac song.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care.

Custom Ringtone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.