Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot update an app from the app store

Error message received when I try to update apps in the App Store: "This update is not available for this Apple ID because it was bought by a different user...” I changed my AppleID password recently, but now can't resolve this issue.

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 12

Posted on Apr 23, 2020 5:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 24, 2020 11:40 AM

Hello gorleepolder,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I see you have a question about updating some apps, and I'd like to do what I can to help out.

With the error message you received, this means that a different Apple ID originally purchased or downloaded (if a free app) the app. Your current Apple ID that you're signed in with is not what is shown as the original user.

You can check your purchase history: See your purchase history for the App Store or iTunes Store

Apple ID content can not be merged between different Apple IDs. However, you can delete the app and download again with your current Apple ID.

If you sign in with the other Apple ID, you may not be able to sign back in with your current Apple ID for 90 days, as shown in this article: View and remove your associated devices for purchases, look in the section titled "More about associated devices".

Take care!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 24, 2020 11:40 AM in response to gorleepolder

Hello gorleepolder,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities! I see you have a question about updating some apps, and I'd like to do what I can to help out.

With the error message you received, this means that a different Apple ID originally purchased or downloaded (if a free app) the app. Your current Apple ID that you're signed in with is not what is shown as the original user.

You can check your purchase history: See your purchase history for the App Store or iTunes Store

Apple ID content can not be merged between different Apple IDs. However, you can delete the app and download again with your current Apple ID.

If you sign in with the other Apple ID, you may not be able to sign back in with your current Apple ID for 90 days, as shown in this article: View and remove your associated devices for purchases, look in the section titled "More about associated devices".

Take care!

Cannot update an app from the app store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.